Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual core 2 GHz or higher

Hi everybody,

I don't know much about processors, but my professor sent out an email saying we need a laptop that is dual core 2 GHz or higher. I currently have an early 2015 Macbook Pro. I'm looking into getting a Macbook Air. I want the latest version, but the most basic kind. No special add ons. Does the processor on that one meet the requirement? I don't want to run into any issues for class. Thanks!

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 9:04 PM

Read the specs for the computers in which you are interested. Except for the bottom of the MacBook Air line, the CPUs are quad-core. With two more cores than the dual-core model, they would be approximately twice as fast. Add to that the difference in speed of an i3 compared to an i5 or an i5 compared to an i7. Each increase adds about 20% more speed. This will also be true for the processors in the MacBook Pro model.

The MBA model:

• 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i3, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz, with 4MB L3 cache
  • 1.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz, with 6MB L3 cache; or
  • 1.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, with 8MB L3 cache

The new MacBook Pro has these specs:

The low-end model:

• 1.4GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz, with 128MB of eDRAM
  • 1.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz, with 128MB of eDRAM

The high-end model:

• 2.0GHz quad‑core 10th‑generation Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, with 6MB shared L3 cache
  • 2.3GHz quad‑core 10th‑generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, with 8MB shared L3 cache
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2020 9:04 PM in response to mineh177

Read the specs for the computers in which you are interested. Except for the bottom of the MacBook Air line, the CPUs are quad-core. With two more cores than the dual-core model, they would be approximately twice as fast. Add to that the difference in speed of an i3 compared to an i5 or an i5 compared to an i7. Each increase adds about 20% more speed. This will also be true for the processors in the MacBook Pro model.

The MBA model:

• 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i3, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz, with 4MB L3 cache
  • 1.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz, with 6MB L3 cache; or
  • 1.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, with 8MB L3 cache

The new MacBook Pro has these specs:

The low-end model:

• 1.4GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz, with 128MB of eDRAM
  • 1.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz, with 128MB of eDRAM

The high-end model:

• 2.0GHz quad‑core 10th‑generation Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, with 6MB shared L3 cache
  • 2.3GHz quad‑core 10th‑generation Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz, with 8MB shared L3 cache

Dual core 2 GHz or higher

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.