Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to print to Canon g1010 Printer after installing drivers

I have a canon Pixma g1010 printer that works perfectly with Windows10. I have a Macbook pro 2018 15" with MaOS Catalina 10.15.6. I connect the printer with a USB adapter and the printer is recognised.

I installed the driver package from the Canon site, added the printer and the printer status shows Idle, Default printer. When I gave a print command, the queue displayed printing and the printer led started to slowly blink and kept blinking. Then I got an error (sometimes 306 sometimes 311) and nothing.

I reset the printer and installed it again. - Same issue.

Have been at it for the past 5 hours but no resolution.

So looking for some solution to this vexing issue or will have to keep using my windows laptop to print!!!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 25, 2020 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 7:36 AM

The support page for that printer specifically disclaims MacOS support. That generally means the image generation (rasterizing) is done on the Windows computer, and the maker has decided not to offer a Mac compatible rasterizer.

You MAY be able to set it up on Windows as a Shared Printer, and print to it indirectly from your Mac. This article describes how that works:

Use your Mac to print to a printer connected to a Windows computer - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2020 7:36 AM in response to Aksh71

The support page for that printer specifically disclaims MacOS support. That generally means the image generation (rasterizing) is done on the Windows computer, and the maker has decided not to offer a Mac compatible rasterizer.

You MAY be able to set it up on Windows as a Shared Printer, and print to it indirectly from your Mac. This article describes how that works:

Use your Mac to print to a printer connected to a Windows computer - Apple Support

Aug 26, 2020 8:18 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thats exactly what I am trying now. Installed virtual box. Now trying to setup a shared folder. The printer however is not being detected by the Virtual Windows. So trying to figure that out. But its ironic that I have to fall back on windows on an Apple device to get something working.

I have to setup a shared folder between MacOS and Virtual Windows. Install G1010 driver on Virtual windows. Get it to detect the printer. For printing - I shall have to convert all docs to PDF for printing else I shall have to load Office/or some other S/w for that.

What a mess!!!! Thanks for the suggestion

Aug 26, 2020 10:13 AM in response to Aksh71

Just an update. Finally managed to get the virtual machine Virtual Box Installed alongwith Windows 10. Downloaded the usb3.0 extension from VirtualBox.org. Printer detected in Guest OS and printout successful - Finally.

Using a USB drive to share files between the two operating systems.

Will convert all documents to PDF to print from the window os as I dont want to use up more space installing MS Office or OpenOffice. just eats up more space.

Next task is to make the printer shareable in the guest os, then try to connect it as a network printer from MacOS and take a print directly. Hopefully should succeed.

Will keep updating.

Unable to print to Canon g1010 Printer after installing drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.