📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My games on my ipad keep crashing.

My games on my ipad keep crashing. I tried creating a back up, resetting my ipad to factory settings and then restored from my backup. My games are still crashing. Would it help to restore to factory setting and then reload the games from the app store?

If I did this, should I:

• ensure games are linked to facebook or take note of game id numbers
  • delete games from ipad
  • create a back-up for other information
  • reset to factory settings
  • restore back-up
  • load games new
  • would I then be able to link my old games progress or would I start games at beginning again?

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 11:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 8:19 AM

The most obvious answer is that the games are new and her iPad isn’t. For some reason, people don’t seem to understand that tablets are simply another type of computer, and they can’t understand why a game released this year, say, won’t run on an 8 year old device and it doesn’t help that Apple doesn’t provide anywhere in the App Store description for developers to specify what devices their games/apps will run on. This then nets the developer a swathe of bad reviews.

Geri, I don’t think the games are the problem, I think the problem is that your iPad is too old to run them. Y’see an iPad is just another type of computer and, just as you’d not expect modern games and software to run on a very old PC, modern games and other apps won’t run on older iPads. Most games available on the App Store now require a device with minimum 2GB RAM, and some require at least 3GB. This means that devices older than the 5th generation (released in 2017) simply aren’t powerful enough. Crashing in my experience, is nearly always due to lack of available RAM, rather than storage space and, unlike in a desktop computer, the RAM in an iPad can’t be upgraded.

I’m afraid the answer is likely to be that, if you’re desperate to play these games, you’ll need to buy a new iPad.

If you tell me the model and iOS version I will confirm it for you.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 23, 2020 8:19 AM in response to barberlives123

The most obvious answer is that the games are new and her iPad isn’t. For some reason, people don’t seem to understand that tablets are simply another type of computer, and they can’t understand why a game released this year, say, won’t run on an 8 year old device and it doesn’t help that Apple doesn’t provide anywhere in the App Store description for developers to specify what devices their games/apps will run on. This then nets the developer a swathe of bad reviews.

Geri, I don’t think the games are the problem, I think the problem is that your iPad is too old to run them. Y’see an iPad is just another type of computer and, just as you’d not expect modern games and software to run on a very old PC, modern games and other apps won’t run on older iPads. Most games available on the App Store now require a device with minimum 2GB RAM, and some require at least 3GB. This means that devices older than the 5th generation (released in 2017) simply aren’t powerful enough. Crashing in my experience, is nearly always due to lack of available RAM, rather than storage space and, unlike in a desktop computer, the RAM in an iPad can’t be upgraded.

I’m afraid the answer is likely to be that, if you’re desperate to play these games, you’ll need to buy a new iPad.

If you tell me the model and iOS version I will confirm it for you.

Aug 27, 2020 5:21 PM in response to GeriMae65

Hey there GeriMae65,

We understand that the games on your iPad are closing unexpectedly and you're wanting to know how you can restore but keep your game progress. We'll be happy to help.

First, we'd recommend going through the steps here for each app that has this issue: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

This will guide you through steps you can take prior to restoring as new that might help get the issue resolved.

However, if it persists, restoring as new, without restoring your backup, might be the best option. If you were to restore to factory, download your games, then restore the backup you made, the apps would be overwritten by restoring the backup.

Instead you could restore as new then download your games. In order to put your other information back onto your device, you could sign back into iCloud to load most your data.

Let us know if this helps. Cheers!

Sep 23, 2020 8:02 AM in response to GeriMae65

Perhaps you’re trying to run games which are incompatible with your iPad. If your iPad is quite old, new(er) games may not run on it because it won’t have enough RAM (which is not storage space, but memory, like in your desktop computer).

What model of iPad do you have and what version of iPadOS is it running…? If you don’t know, tap ‘settings’ (the icon that looks like meshed cogs) and then ‘general’, then tap ‘about’. This will tell you all about your iPad, including its model and iPadOS version.

You can’t expect modern games to run on old(er) devices.

My games on my ipad keep crashing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.