Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues Downloading iCloud videos on a PC

When I download videos in my iCloud library from iCloud.com onto my PC (running Windows 10), they only play the audio tracks from the videos--the picture is frozen and not in sync with the audio.

I realize that my PC is running an older version of Windows, however I tend to hold off for as long as possible on software updates because it is hard for me to adapt when the layout occasionally changes. If anyone has a possible solution that does NOT involve updating Windows, that would be greatly appreciated! Help!cpc

Posted on Aug 26, 2020 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 7:53 AM

Salutations MichieMouse2020,

Your post is welcome in Apple Support Communities!

Based on what you mentioned, you are not able to view videos saved in iCloud. A main possible step is to update Windows. While it's understood this was not desired, it is not something that should be omitted.

To explain in detail, you may need a video codec for playing the files. Newer versions of windows should have all required codecs for playback functionality, but it is not impossible to have one that is missing or not installed. Mentioned on If an audio or video file doesn't play on Mac, "QuickTime movie files (.mov), most MPEG files (.mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .mpg), some AVI and WAV files, and many other formats usually work in most apps without additional software." However, you do want to make sure your PC is updated in case it needs some revision on file formats or codecs.

Lastly, there is a document covering issues with loading photos on a Windows PC, but this can also apply to videos in iCloud as well. Take a look at: If your iCloud Photos aren't loading on your PC.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2020 7:53 AM in response to MichieMouse2020

Salutations MichieMouse2020,

Your post is welcome in Apple Support Communities!

Based on what you mentioned, you are not able to view videos saved in iCloud. A main possible step is to update Windows. While it's understood this was not desired, it is not something that should be omitted.

To explain in detail, you may need a video codec for playing the files. Newer versions of windows should have all required codecs for playback functionality, but it is not impossible to have one that is missing or not installed. Mentioned on If an audio or video file doesn't play on Mac, "QuickTime movie files (.mov), most MPEG files (.mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .mpg), some AVI and WAV files, and many other formats usually work in most apps without additional software." However, you do want to make sure your PC is updated in case it needs some revision on file formats or codecs.

Lastly, there is a document covering issues with loading photos on a Windows PC, but this can also apply to videos in iCloud as well. Take a look at: If your iCloud Photos aren't loading on your PC.

Cheers!

Issues Downloading iCloud videos on a PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.