Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way of keeping a personal hotspot (via a wifi connection) turned on without it disconnecting?

I have a wifi enabled ipad and hotspot from my iphone. After a while this connection will terminate and I have to reconnect, this can be a bit of an issue during a presentation or demo. Is there a way of keeping it connected the same way that a typical wifi connection would normally work?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 1:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 2:22 AM

Your iPhone hotspot will typically shut-down, to conserve power, if no network activity has been detected for several minutes. If running iOS/iPadOS13.x, unless the configuration is changed, the hotspot connection from the iPad will likely be operating in the default Low Data Mode. This mode of operation disables much of the “background chatter” from background processes that might otherwise keep the hotspot connection active.

Low Data Mode is intended to significantly reduce network traffic for what is likely be a relatively expensive network connection, that is likely to be both bandwidth constrained and metered.

When connected to your iPhone hotspot, the corresponding WiFi connection on your iPad will indicate Low Data Mode if this mode of operation is active. Low Data Mode is configured on iPad individually for each WiFi and hotspot connection. To change this configuration parameter, whilst the link is active, touch the corresponding “i” icon - then deselect Low Data Mode.

Be aware that if your iPad becomes idle - and Sleeps - the WiFi connection also sleeps; the iPhone will shortly thereafter shut-down the hotspot connection. When the iPad again becomes active, the hotspot connection should be automatically initiated (over Bluetooth) with the iPhone (this assumes, of course, that both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud services using the same AppleID).

You should be mindful that the iPhone hotspot will consume battery power at an accelerated rate. When using the hotspot beyond short duration ad-hoc connections, you would be advised to keep the iPhone connected to either a Power Adapter or PowerBank battery.

I hope this information and insight provides some useful information - and helpfully assists refinement of your iPhone/iPad settings to produce a more consistent hotspot connection for your application.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 2:22 AM in response to rornaldo

Your iPhone hotspot will typically shut-down, to conserve power, if no network activity has been detected for several minutes. If running iOS/iPadOS13.x, unless the configuration is changed, the hotspot connection from the iPad will likely be operating in the default Low Data Mode. This mode of operation disables much of the “background chatter” from background processes that might otherwise keep the hotspot connection active.

Low Data Mode is intended to significantly reduce network traffic for what is likely be a relatively expensive network connection, that is likely to be both bandwidth constrained and metered.

When connected to your iPhone hotspot, the corresponding WiFi connection on your iPad will indicate Low Data Mode if this mode of operation is active. Low Data Mode is configured on iPad individually for each WiFi and hotspot connection. To change this configuration parameter, whilst the link is active, touch the corresponding “i” icon - then deselect Low Data Mode.

Be aware that if your iPad becomes idle - and Sleeps - the WiFi connection also sleeps; the iPhone will shortly thereafter shut-down the hotspot connection. When the iPad again becomes active, the hotspot connection should be automatically initiated (over Bluetooth) with the iPhone (this assumes, of course, that both iPad and iPhone are signed-in to iCloud services using the same AppleID).

You should be mindful that the iPhone hotspot will consume battery power at an accelerated rate. When using the hotspot beyond short duration ad-hoc connections, you would be advised to keep the iPhone connected to either a Power Adapter or PowerBank battery.

I hope this information and insight provides some useful information - and helpfully assists refinement of your iPhone/iPad settings to produce a more consistent hotspot connection for your application.

Aug 27, 2020 3:45 AM in response to rornaldo

Given that I hav not tried in recent times what LotusPilot suggests (using current devices, running iOS / iPadOS13 versions), I'd like to offer you my 2 cents.

A few years ago I had the same problem as you, using personal hotspot on my iPhone 6 to connect my old iPad for the purpose of a presentation in an environment where a reliable wifi connection was not available. I made many attempts but got nowhere (frequent disconnections). So I decided to completely change my path: I bought a MiFi device (TP-LINK M7350) and stopped using the personal hotspot on my iPhone. Even today, when I need it and when I want to be sure that the wifi connection on iPhone or iPad won't let me down, I use this "equipment".

Regards

Giulio

Sep 15, 2020 3:29 AM in response to ProustGiulio

All iPhone is having same hotspot issues even my iPhone 11 hotspot is not working as expected. It keeps disconnecting even low data mode is turn off. Once hotspot is disconnected then it won't discovered until I manually turn it off & turn on again. Even sometimes I am getting error of incorrect password when try to reconnect. I was having same issue with my previous iPhone 7.

Sep 15, 2020 3:43 AM in response to bhattsagar

Disabling Low Data mode will increase network utilisation - but will not prevent an idle iPad from Sleeping. When the iPhone detects no traffic from the idle (sleeping) iPad, it will turn-off its WiFi Hotspot to conserve precious battery power.

If both iPad and iPhone are using recent versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad has the ability to automatically initiate the iPhone hotspot on-demand. For this feature to work, [on iPad] the active WiFi hotspot connection must be configured to allow Auto-Join. This feature allows the iPad to automatically connect to the hotspot as needed - whilst permitting the iPhone to optimally manage its hotspot to conserve power.

Sep 15, 2020 3:48 AM in response to LotusPilot

Allow Auto-Join is already enabled still it's not getting connected automatically. Once it is disconnected it won't appear under Wifi list & then I need turn it off hotspot & turn it on again in-order to connect it. Also sometime I am getting an error that password is incorrect while connecting even though password is correct or sometime I am getting error that unable to connect to the network. Its very very frustrating when your smart phone not able some silly thigs.

Is there a way of keeping a personal hotspot (via a wifi connection) turned on without it disconnecting?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.