Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot rename files in System-Library-LaunchAgents

In trying to debug an issue on my Mac, I am attempting to rename a plist file in /System/Library/LaunchAgents/. Attempting to rename the file in the file in unsuccessful, as right-clicking to rename or hitting Enter does nothing. Using the terminal and switching to super-user and attempting to reload returns with the error "Operation not permitted" File permissions are -rw-r--r--, and attempting to chmod the permissions is also returned with "operation not permitted."

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 10:24 AM

The System directory is protected by SIP (system integrity protection) to prevent malicious activity. In order to rename the file, SIP must be disabled by booting in to recovery mode and entering 'csrutil disable' in to the terminal and rebooting.

Similar questions

9 replies

Aug 27, 2020 12:32 PM in response to Mikulify

dialbrain's suggestion does work. You don't need to disable SIP in order to modify a different bootable volume while you are started up from another. You only need your admin password.

What I do wonder is why you want to mess around with anything in the System folder. Only the OS can put anything there in Catalina. It's read only while booted to that volume.

Cannot rename files in System-Library-LaunchAgents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.