Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to remove duplicates in Contacts.app

I have encountered an interesting situation. I installed High Sierra on a Mac that also has El Cap on a separate volume.

Every time I switched to El Cap and then back to High Sierra, High Sierra would forget that it had been connected to iCloud, meaning that things like iMessages and contacts would be redownloaded.

I suspect it is this that has caused me to have lots and lots of duplicate entries in Contacts.app.

There are no duplicates on either my Macbook or in iCloud.

I've run Look for duplicates in the Contacts.app several times and it now reports that there are none.

But there are lots and lots. What can I do to remove them?

Thank you in advance

Philip

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 1:56 AM

Hi BD

Thanks for replying. If I untick that the duplicates seem to disappear. I say "seem" because they drop almost by half.

It would seem the Look for duplicates function doesn't compare what's in iCloud and what's stored locally on the computer.

Any idea what I should do to be able to use iCloud and local storage?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2020 1:56 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BD

Thanks for replying. If I untick that the duplicates seem to disappear. I say "seem" because they drop almost by half.

It would seem the Look for duplicates function doesn't compare what's in iCloud and what's stored locally on the computer.

Any idea what I should do to be able to use iCloud and local storage?

Unable to remove duplicates in Contacts.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.