Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro boot can't from usb

I created a usb disk for mojave to boot and clean install my Macbook pro 2012 Mid edition.

Each time I press the option key to install from usb, it never comes up with option for the usb to boot instead it just goes to the hard disk option.

Is the usb boot faulty? I bought a new usb disk and tried the same I had the same problem.

Kindly help with a solution.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 9:31 AM

Transmac never works.. And you can only get the Mojave full installer from the Mac App Store.

Once you have downloaded the Mojave full installer from the App Store Mojave download page

you will find Install macOS Mojave.app (6.05GBs) in your Applications folder, you then use that and the

createinstallmedia command in Terminal to create your bootable USB installer.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

The .dmg version is probably a Mojave update which you already need to have a previous version

of Mojave installed for this update to install, get better friends.

Try doing a bit more research on the subject.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2020 9:31 AM in response to Modurodeoluwa

Transmac never works.. And you can only get the Mojave full installer from the Mac App Store.

Once you have downloaded the Mojave full installer from the App Store Mojave download page

you will find Install macOS Mojave.app (6.05GBs) in your Applications folder, you then use that and the

createinstallmedia command in Terminal to create your bootable USB installer.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

The .dmg version is probably a Mojave update which you already need to have a previous version

of Mojave installed for this update to install, get better friends.

Try doing a bit more research on the subject.

Aug 29, 2020 9:56 AM in response to Modurodeoluwa

Modurodeoluwa wrote:

I created a usb disk for mojave to boot and clean install my Macbook pro 2012 Mid edition.
Each time I press the option key to install from usb, it never comes up with option for the usb to boot instead it just goes to the hard disk option.
Is the usb boot faulty? I bought a new usb disk and tried the same I had the same problem.

Kindly help with a solution.
Thanks

Try clicking open from the Desktop...

Not all USB are dependable, you can try a different brand USB stick as a test.

I created it with Transmac downloaded from acute systems.com website. I also tried Unetbootin. I downloaded the MacOS Mojave from isoriver.com and a dmg version from a friend.

Downloading software from an aggregator site is a sure way to get adware/malware—this is very poor computer smarts.

Download from Apple directly—https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12

Use the Terminal.app is straight forward

ref: How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

or

try DiskMakerX. app— to make your macOS bootable USBinstaller.

https://diskmakerx.com/whats-this/

Macbook pro boot can't from usb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.