Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change album cover on Apple Music

Ever since I upgraded to iOS 13 my picture to songs (Album covers) are mixed up on my Iphone .

Showing the wrong cover for the song I am playing.

Movies too. Some movies show a Song Album cover as it's thumbnail ??

But it is all only on my iphone. Syncing doesn't help .

Any help would be appreciated !!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 8:46 AM

Okay, in case it helps, this did the trick for me:

1. In iTunes, I unchecked the music sync, and then synced the phone.
  2. Confirmed there were no more playlists on the iPhone.
  3. Checked the lists of SONGS -- yep, they were still there.
  4. On the iPhone went to settings >> iPhone storage and deleted all the songs and playlists.
  5. Back in iTunes, did another sync (making sure that the "sync music" was UNCHECKED)
  6. Checked the phone -- no songs, no playlists.
  7. In iTunes, checked a few TEST playlists on to sync to the phone.
  8. Synced the phone.
  9. Playlists were added AND they had the proper artwork
  10. Satisfied, I checked all the playlists (meaning, I did not check "sync my whole library")
  11. Clicked sync.

And then I waited...

And that did the trick. Like magic!

-

Rationale: I reasoned that for some bizarre reason, the iPhone was pulling images to build playlists from the songs, and so somewhere that process was garbled. The albums and songs had the proper images, but the playlists did not. So I figured "resetting" those relationships might work. So, I experimented by deleting all the songs and albums of a single playlist, and then reloading from scratch. My guess is that this "reset" the song >> album >> playlist image association.

My reasoning might have been wrong, but hey, I can't complain about the results -- 13,000 + songs all look perfectly lovely now with all their correct images, and I did not have to reload images from any source.

141 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 8:46 AM in response to Edward_Martin_III

4. On the iPhone went to settings >> iPhone storage and deleted all the songs and playlists.
  5. Back in iTunes, did another sync (making sure that the "sync music" was UNCHECKED)
  8. Synced the phone.
  10. Satisfied, I checked all the playlists (meaning, I did not check "sync my whole library")
  11. Clicked sync.

And then I waited...

-

Rationale: I reasoned that for some bizarre reason, the iPhone was pulling images to build playlists from the songs, and so somewhere that process was garbled. The albums and songs had the proper images, but the playlists did not. So I figured "resetting" those relationships might work. So, I experimented by deleting all the songs and albums of a single playlist, and then reloading from scratch. My guess is that this "reset" the song >> album >> playlist image association.

My reasoning might have been wrong, but hey, I can't complain about the results -- 13,000 + songs all look perfectly lovely now with all their correct images, and I did not have to reload images from any source.

Nov 14, 2020 11:55 AM in response to Pierrala

Just got a 12 Pro Max yesterday, transferred everything via quick start. Everything went great except my music. I first had duplicates of everything... and I mean everything! I went to my settings > music > downloaded music > edit > deleted all songs. I then resynced my phone & with itunes and that took care of the duplicates. Unfortunately it started another problem... it was showing the same album cover for multiple albums. So, I did the same thing again: settings > music > downloaded music > edit > deleted all songs. This time, I rebooted my phone & resynched with itunes with the "sync music" option unchecked. Then went back & selected that sync music option again & chose the albums I wanted. Re-synched & everything is correct again. Hope this helps some of you with the same problems that I had.

Apr 6, 2021 10:47 AM in response to brianfrommissoula

Hi Brian,

Wow, 248GB of music? You must not take many photos! :)

I am not on Catalina yet, so it was news to me that the Music app has replaced iTunes.

I'm not a coder, but clearly the iTunes/Music database has got corrupted when we see the wrong artworks. There isn't a "rebuild database" option on the iPhone. So the only option is to clear the database - by either deleting all music or erasing the phone.

Your post got me interested in how things work on Catalina and Big Sur. Apparently you can sync over wifi, which should be much quicker than over a USB cable:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT210611

But you will still have to delete all your music. I think it's unavoidable if you want to fix the problem.

And then make sure it's empty in Settings >> General >> iPhone Storage >> Music

You should be able to delete "left over database" from there.

Music app must be ZERO - before you start uploading again.

And over wifi should be quick if you put your phone next to the router.

Does that help? :)

Nov 30, 2020 10:30 AM in response to Edward_Martin_III

This appears to have worked for me ...

First make sure your music is backed up somewhere besides your phone. For me, my MacBook Pro is one such place. So, with a backup in hand, do this on the iPhone 12:

• Go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage/Music
  • Swipe left on "All Songs"
  • Press Delete

Then

• Connect the phone with MacBook Pro via USB/Lighting
  • Ignore the MacOS message that a software upgrade is required to connect the iPhone.
  • Select iPhone in Finder
  • Select the Music tab and press Sync

I checked the problem covers that I had noticed before, and all were correct. I have about 85Gigs of music, so I have not checked exhaustively. I will report back if anything goes amiss or otherwise pops up on my radar.

A word of skepticism: This is the third time in the two weeks I have had the phone (iPhone 12PM) that I synced music with the MacBookPro. Granted, iOS has been updated during that time, but updates not withstanding, I have no idea why this sync would work and earlier syncs would not. ¿Go figure?

Dec 30, 2020 8:01 PM in response to dscottr

I had this problem.

1. Create playlists with all the music you want on your device (I do mine by artist or genre)
  2. Click on your device as if you are going to sync it
  3. Click music
  4. Uncheck the box that says "sync music"
  5. Sync your phone
  6. Click the box that says "sync music"
  7. Check off all the albums, songs and/or playlists you would like
  8. Sync phone again

Mar 1, 2021 10:08 AM in response to Baverstock

I have sorted this out now. This is what I did:

• remove all the music from my phone
  • synchronised it with the computer and re-started it
  • selected "sync selected albums, artist, songs, and playlists"
  • chose the albums I wanted on the phone, and the corresponding artists
  • synchronised the phone again. This time it showed the process of transferring all 1,500 or so songs
  • re-started the phone again and checked that the album covers matched the albums
  • changed the settings back to "manage music manually".

I'm not suggesting all of those steps were strictly necessary, but choosing both the albums and the artists seemed the key thing that made it work.

Mar 7, 2021 5:50 AM in response to dscottr

I followed advice from below, thank you so much. But - I had to go into settings>>music>>show all purchases --- and turned it off. Then, it worked like a charm.

Edward_Martin_III

User level:

Level 1

(9 points)

Nov 30, 2020 8:46 AM in response to Edward_Martin_III

8. Synced the phone.
  11. Clicked sync.

And then I waited...

-

Mar 27, 2021 4:19 AM in response to macforthewin

I followed a previous post and it worked for me. :)

1. Connect to iTunes and uncheck ALL your albums and playlists etc. Then press apply. So according to iTunes, there should be no music on your phone.
  2. Go to Settings >> General >> iPhone Storage >> click on Photos. Then you should see some Photos storage, despite unchecking all music. You should be able to delete this here.
  3. Connect to iTune and recheck the music you want and APPLY. Hopefully that should fix it! :)

Apr 29, 2021 3:59 PM in response to dscottr

I'm confused. HERE:

1. On the iPhone went to settings >> iPhone storage and deleted all the songs and playlists.

Did you mean to say that you went settings >> iCLOUD storage? I cannot find anything under SETTINGS>MY ACCOUNT> that says "iPhone storage". And, in iCloud settings, there is no option to "deleted all the songs and playlists."

So, I'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dec 20, 2021 12:17 PM in response to dscottr

Edward_Martin_III

I followed your instructions and it mostly corresponded. The only thing was the music never deleted from my phone, even though, I:

1. Unchecked Sync Music in iTunes and resynced my iPhone
  2. Deleted all songs and playlists in Settings -> storage on my iPhone
  3. Deleted the Apple Music app and reinstalled it

No matter what I did, the music and albums were still there but then I noticed something... the album covers... they were right! I clicked on the Sync Music checkbox again in iTunes and it completed the process with the album cover art still correct. Also, somewhere along the way a bunch of music got deleted from my iPhone that got restored.

Thank you! This was so annoying and the other post on this didn't fix the problem.

Nov 14, 2020 8:23 AM in response to gsgharav

Unfortunately, iTunes doesn't see any of the transferred music. No tracks. No albums. No playlists. However, when the phone is unplugged, they're there. Sync-ing the phone only effects the more recent additions (since I made transfer from X-12pro). There's no way to effect the music that transferred because it's simply not represented in iTunes. See below: 19 songs recognized in iTunes, yet, 99.1Gb of audio. PLUS mismatched album covers for all new music. Maddening.

How to change album cover on Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.