Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone says it needs an update but when I try to update it won’t let me. I just bought more storage as well.

Why won’t it let me update my phone I just bought more storage and it still won’t let me

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 1:47 PM

AmandaM2029 wrote:

I just bought more storage

You purchased iCloud storage. You cannot purchase iPhone storage.

About storage on your device and in iCloud - Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

3 replies

Aug 27, 2020 1:47 PM in response to AmandaM2029

I would like you to realize and know one important thing and that is that there is NOTHING that you can do to increase the physical storage capacity of your iPhone. Your iPhone's storage capacity will forever remain the same as the day you bought it.

You have purchased ➔ iCloud Storage from Apple where you can create and save your iPhone backups and synch (Not Store) your Messages, Photos, Contacts, Calendars, Notes and Reminders. Note that iCloud Storage is NOT an extension of storage capacity of your iPhone. Just wanted you to know some facts. Thanks.

Now, which error message do you see when you attempt to update your iPhone? How much free space do you have on your iPhone?

Axel F.

My phone says it needs an update but when I try to update it won’t let me. I just bought more storage as well.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.