Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Mystery

My brothers and I bought a

refurbished IPad for my sister’s birthday to replace the first generation she

has.  My sister told me that she took the

new one to Verizon to get a SIM card for it, but Verizon said it would not

work.  There is a SIM card slot.  My oldest brother purchased it and my sister

does not want to hurt his feelings by asking him about it.  Can anyone give me the following information?

1) How can I tell if it

has internet capability on the road?

2) If it does, how can I

tell what carrier it uses?

She is taking care of my

90 year old Mother, so she can’t get out to check on this.  We bought her the iPad in June.  Any info would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 9:44 PM

Do you know what model iPad it is? Let us know that and what version of iOS or iPadOS it is running. (You can find both in Settings > General > About, in the first few lines of the display.)

Check to see if there is a "Cellular Data" section in the Settings app.

If it is connected to a carrier, the name of the carrier would be displayed on the lock screen (in the upper left corner recently).

Unless it is a pretty old model, or bought through a carrier, it is probably not locked to a carrier.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2020 9:44 PM in response to gregg1962

Do you know what model iPad it is? Let us know that and what version of iOS or iPadOS it is running. (You can find both in Settings > General > About, in the first few lines of the display.)

Check to see if there is a "Cellular Data" section in the Settings app.

If it is connected to a carrier, the name of the carrier would be displayed on the lock screen (in the upper left corner recently).

Unless it is a pretty old model, or bought through a carrier, it is probably not locked to a carrier.

Aug 27, 2020 10:29 PM in response to gregg1962

It is likely that your new iPad is too old to communicate via VZW's present day networks. Verizon is busy building out 5G service now, and most customers use their 4G or LTE service (3.5G), so VZW is removing all 2.5G service radios as part of swapping in the 5G radios that need to use the same band space. If your new iPad can only communicate via 2.5G, it is already orphaned in most of the world.

iPad Mystery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.