Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I connect 3 monitors for 3 displays out?

On a Macbook Pro 2020 4 usb-c thunderbolt 3 outputs, I can't seem to get 3 external monitors connected all 1080p

Posted on Aug 27, 2020 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 1:32 PM

I have successfully connected 3 external displays (while also using my MacBook laptop screen as a 4th monitor). I have a 13 “ 2020 MacBook Pro with 4 thunderbolt 3 ports and with an i7 quad core 2.3ghz processor, 16gb memory running the latest version of Catalina OS for reference.

I am connecting 3 external displays via a usb-c to 4 hdmi hub made by j5create. The model for the hub is: JCA366. The 3 monitors are all connected via hdmi into this hub. The hub has an ability to plug in a 4th hdmi but I have not tried a 4th external monitor (as I don’t own one) but I potentially could do 4 external displays as per the hub’s capability allows for 4 external monitors if your computer meets their specifications (which mine does).

The external monitors are 1080p (not 4K). Two are dell and one is lg.

I figured I would share as it doesn’t seem that anyone has found a solution to this to connect more than 2 external displays to a 2020 MacBook Pro that is 13” (the 16” MacBook Pro clearly supports up to 4 external monitors).

I hope that helps.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 1:32 PM in response to occiden

I have successfully connected 3 external displays (while also using my MacBook laptop screen as a 4th monitor). I have a 13 “ 2020 MacBook Pro with 4 thunderbolt 3 ports and with an i7 quad core 2.3ghz processor, 16gb memory running the latest version of Catalina OS for reference.

I am connecting 3 external displays via a usb-c to 4 hdmi hub made by j5create. The model for the hub is: JCA366. The 3 monitors are all connected via hdmi into this hub. The hub has an ability to plug in a 4th hdmi but I have not tried a 4th external monitor (as I don’t own one) but I potentially could do 4 external displays as per the hub’s capability allows for 4 external monitors if your computer meets their specifications (which mine does).

The external monitors are 1080p (not 4K). Two are dell and one is lg.

I figured I would share as it doesn’t seem that anyone has found a solution to this to connect more than 2 external displays to a 2020 MacBook Pro that is 13” (the 16” MacBook Pro clearly supports up to 4 external monitors).

I hope that helps.

Sep 26, 2020 5:31 PM in response to neuroanatomist

That device uses DisplayLink technology. This creates an un-acclerated screen buffer in main RAM, and sends the data out to the display using a slower medium. Then special chips in the stunt-box re-create a regular Display interface.

The display created falls short of full-motion video, and using a mouse with that screen may seem laggy. You MUST update the software when you update MacOS.

For spreadsheets, stock quotes, program listing and other slow-changing stuff, it can be cost effective.

Sep 26, 2020 5:49 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I have not witnessed a lag with the mouse. I am not using it to watch movies on multiple screens nor for gaming so I can’t speak to that but I am using it for sophisticated market data via a vpn to my office (so I am running Bloomberg amongst several office software apps including excel that feeds data via an API). I just got this working today so I can repost if I notice performance issues in the future but for now, I am ecstatic to find a solution for this computer. Apple was not able to offer a solution as they don’t support more than 2 externals on a 13 inch. If you need 100% performance or 4K on 4 screens, I would get the 16 inch MacBook Pro. But that was too big for my needs.

can I connect 3 monitors for 3 displays out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.