Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Activation Lock - iPhones purchased at Police Auction

Hello,

I have purchased some iPhones with iCloud Activation Lock from a Police Auction.

I have proof of purchase from the auction house.

I have read on the Communities website that it is not possible to remove the lock as it is in place from the previous owner. However, I have read that some users have been successful in getting their iPhones reset by a Customer Support Manager.

I am just wondering has anyone recently been successful in removing the lock and if they would have any advice when it comes to dealing with Apple's Customer Support.

Thank you.

iPhone XR

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 3:59 AM

I wish I had better news for you.

Apple is really strict when it comes to removing Activation Lock. Only a proof of purchase from an authorized reseller of new Apple products will qualify for this type of forced removal.

A police auction house, even a government liquidation outlet, or anybody else other than a distributor, or retail store is not an authorized reseller of new Apple products. This means the iPhone you bought can't be used for anything at all except as a screen to fix a broken iPhone of the same model.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2020 3:59 AM in response to feracake

I wish I had better news for you.

Apple is really strict when it comes to removing Activation Lock. Only a proof of purchase from an authorized reseller of new Apple products will qualify for this type of forced removal.

A police auction house, even a government liquidation outlet, or anybody else other than a distributor, or retail store is not an authorized reseller of new Apple products. This means the iPhone you bought can't be used for anything at all except as a screen to fix a broken iPhone of the same model.

iCloud Activation Lock - iPhones purchased at Police Auction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.