Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet cable to migrate?

I need to migrate from a 2009 MacBook Pro to a MacBook Air 2020.

Reading Migration Assistant support pages and Target disk mode support, I see a discussion of what adapters to use on computers with different ports. Ethernet cables are not mentioned as a way to get a target disk connection.

I have a USB-C to Ethernet adapter and an Ethernet port on my MBP. So, an Ethernet cable won't allow Target disk transfer?

Would Ethernet cable be faster than Wi Fi anyway?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 3:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 8:17 PM

Target Disk Mode is not available over Ethernet. However, it's still possible to transfer data over Ethernet using File Sharing but not using Migration Assistant. Ethernet is faster than most home Wi-Fi as well as more reliable than Wi-Fi. If you desire to utilize Migration Assistant, then you may prefer backing up your old machine to an external drive. You can then connect the drive to the new computer and migrate from it.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2020 8:17 PM in response to Bruce L.

Target Disk Mode is not available over Ethernet. However, it's still possible to transfer data over Ethernet using File Sharing but not using Migration Assistant. Ethernet is faster than most home Wi-Fi as well as more reliable than Wi-Fi. If you desire to utilize Migration Assistant, then you may prefer backing up your old machine to an external drive. You can then connect the drive to the new computer and migrate from it.

Sep 1, 2020 3:44 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks Kappy;

I remain unsure of what cables and connectors can be used for what now that I finally have a new MB Air with only USB-C ports.

Would it work to migrate a backup from my Time Capsule to the MB Air if I used an Ethernet cable (using Migration Assistant)? I have a USB-C Ethernet adapter and my Time Capsule has open ports. (The TC has backups from two Macs so I assume Migration Assistant will allow me to choose which to migrate to the MB Air; and, that before I start Migration Assistant I connect the MBA and TC).

Sep 1, 2020 7:49 PM in response to Bruce L.

Why not setup the Time Capsule® on your network and let the MBA connect to the same network either wirelessly or Ethernet cable to a LAN port on the Time Capsule®? I don't know if MA is usable but you can transfer data via File Sharing. I've never used a Time Capsule®, so I don't know if MA will work, but you can try.

Sep 2, 2020 11:38 AM in response to Bruce L.

This is what I know from experience, and it works. First, I would download and install as many of my apps as possible on the new computer. (They might have to be reregistered.) Then I would set up the transfer using Migration Assistant from the old computer to the new one. That is what it was designed to do and it works very well. Use a USB cable to connect the two computers. Do not attempt the transfer via Wi Fi as it will often result in corruption and you will have problems. I have also used an ethernet cable in the past, but it's not recommended. Follow the instructions and select the files to be transferred. All of your preferences, etc should also be transferred. This is straightforward and it works. I hope it works well for you, too. Good luck.

Sep 2, 2020 2:19 PM in response to Bruce L.

I can't say for sure. It's been a while since I did it. I think there is an option to select files, but if I am wrong, accept my apology. Incidentally, you can also transfer your apps, but the "experts" here suggest doing a direct install of them. I guess that ensures a clean unpolluted app which is the most current version.

Ethernet cable to migrate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.