Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable.

I am running Catalina 10.15.6 and my Photos library is stored on an external drive and backed up on iCloud. For some reason my videos stopped playing and I receive the message "Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable." I can play the videos on iCloud and my iPhone.

I recently retired my external drive and copied the Photo's library over to a new drive. I've done this a few times over the years without any issues. There's only 1 video I can find that works but I can't figure out why this one works and all the others so far do not.

Any ideas?

Thanks - Milo

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 28, 2020 5:58 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Sep 3, 2020 6:03 PM in response to donmilo

You mention that you use iCloud Photos. Is your Mac set to optimize storage or keep the originals on your Mac?

When you retired your external drive and moved the library to the new drive, did you remember to set it as the system photo library to tell iCloud to use it for syncing?

I ask these questions because I wonder if not having all of the originals stored on your Mac and subsequently moving the library to the other drive and not setting it as the system photo library would cause the objects in that library to no longer know to go to iCloud to get the original it needs to play.

Photos cannot play this video because the resource is unavailable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.