Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iCloud Drive use so much storage space on my Mac hard drive?

MacBook Air 11″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 10:29 AM

iCloud Drive keeps a local copy of documents on your Mac. You can potentially reduce the space by turning on Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > Optimize Mac Storage.

Also see the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2020 10:29 AM in response to johnny149

iCloud Drive keeps a local copy of documents on your Mac. You can potentially reduce the space by turning on Apple menu > System Preferences > Apple ID > Optimize Mac Storage.

Also see the following from Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

If you need more space on your device, iCloud Drive can help. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. On macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud. Turn on Optimize Mac Storage. Then your Mac keeps all of your recent files on your computer, but keeps your older ones only in iCloud, ready for you to download when you need them again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.