Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color-code specific events in macOS calendar

I've been using Google Calendar for years and recently discovered that the macOS calendar works better for me -- except for use of colors.

Is it possible to color-code specific events in iCal -- not just entire calendars or entire categories of events? If so, please tell me how. If not, is there an extension or workaround?

Also, would color changes show up in Calendar on my iPhone?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 11:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 12:09 PM

"Changing a calendar’s color changes the color of all of its events. If you want an event to have a different color, either change the color of the whole calendar or move the event to a calendar with a different color."

You always need to create a Calendar before and then assign to an event. There is no direct way to recolor an event without previously had it as a Calendar.

Yes, color changes will show on your iPhone if they are under the same Apple ID account activated through iCloud.

Sadly there is no safe extension or workaround.

Hope this helps and solves your question. Do not hesitate to ask if you need more information.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2020 12:09 PM in response to GrammaLo

"Changing a calendar’s color changes the color of all of its events. If you want an event to have a different color, either change the color of the whole calendar or move the event to a calendar with a different color."

You always need to create a Calendar before and then assign to an event. There is no direct way to recolor an event without previously had it as a Calendar.

Yes, color changes will show on your iPhone if they are under the same Apple ID account activated through iCloud.

Sadly there is no safe extension or workaround.

Hope this helps and solves your question. Do not hesitate to ask if you need more information.

Aug 29, 2020 1:38 PM in response to bodyxs

Thanks so much for your reply.

To be clear, the steps are:

Create new calendar in iCloud, which now appears in the list at the left of the screen.

Create new event.

Right-click on event and assign to new calendar.

I tried this on my Mac, and the event shows up along with all others. On my phone, the event showed up once I checked the new calendar in Calendars settings. I tried creating a new event on my phone, and it worked similarly.

Theoretically, I could create as many "calendars" as necessary for specific events -- right?

Thanks again for your help.

Aug 31, 2020 10:50 AM in response to bodyxs

I don't know whether this issue is related to adding the new calendar, but I now can't edit any events on any of my calendars except by deleting the event and starting over. All of the calendars are checked in the iCloud list on the left, as is my gmail calendar. Also, not all of the events I previously entered in the Google calendar appear in the Mac calendar. This was never previously the case -- the two were always in sync.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Color-code specific events in macOS calendar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.