Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo 1.5 suddenly quit showing videos from my iPhone import

Photos vs. 1.5 suddenly won't show iPhone videos, live pictures and new images are bitmapped. Edit button will not work.

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2020 11:00 AM

You may want to check the Settings > Camera on your iPhone 11. Is it set to to "High Efficiency"? Then your Mac with Photos 1.5 on OS X 10.11 cannot ply the iPhone videos.

You need at least Photos 3 and macOS 10.13 High Sierra to be able to work the High Efficiency format videos and photos on a Mac. See: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

If you can, upgrade your Mac to macOS 10.13 High Sierra at least to be more compatible with your new iPhone, or change the Camera Settings on the iPhone to take the videos in a more compatible format.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2020 11:00 AM in response to ronaldfrombloomfield

You may want to check the Settings > Camera on your iPhone 11. Is it set to to "High Efficiency"? Then your Mac with Photos 1.5 on OS X 10.11 cannot ply the iPhone videos.

You need at least Photos 3 and macOS 10.13 High Sierra to be able to work the High Efficiency format videos and photos on a Mac. See: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

If you can, upgrade your Mac to macOS 10.13 High Sierra at least to be more compatible with your new iPhone, or change the Camera Settings on the iPhone to take the videos in a more compatible format.

Aug 29, 2020 6:36 PM in response to Old Toad

The videos and live pics are from my iPhone 11. I get a grey screen with a triangle and an exclamation point. If you click on it it asks you if you want it to open it in another app.

I went to my iCloud account and imported the same video onto my desktop and then dragged it to Photo and it opened fine.

I don’t know how far back it goes in time. But I also noticed that the edit button was not working on the corrupted pics.

Photo 1.5 suddenly quit showing videos from my iPhone import

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.