Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2011 disk is locked

I tried resetting my iMac as I will be selling it and when I try to reinstall macOS, it is saying, “the disk is locked.” The disk that I cannot select is OS X Base System. Help?

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2020 6:27 PM

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Disk Utility can fix certain disk problems—for example, multiple apps quit unexpectedly, a file is corrupted, an external device doesn’t work properly, or your computer won’t start up. Disk Utility can’t detect or repair all problems that a disk may have.

If you run First Aid on a disk, Disk Utility checks the partition maps on the disk and performs some additional checks, and then checks each volume. If you run First Aid on a volume, Disk Utility verifies all the contents of that volume only.

1. In the Disk Utility app  on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices.
  2. Note: If you’re checking your startup disk or startup volume, restart your computer in macOS Recovery, select Disk Utility in the macOS Utilities window, then click Continue. If you check your startup volume (Macintosh HD), make sure you also check your data volume (Macintosh HD - Data).

In Disk Utility's View Menu, choose Show all devices, any change if you choose the top entry?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 29, 2020 6:27 PM in response to AntonioM551

Repair a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Disk Utility can fix certain disk problems—for example, multiple apps quit unexpectedly, a file is corrupted, an external device doesn’t work properly, or your computer won’t start up. Disk Utility can’t detect or repair all problems that a disk may have.

If you run First Aid on a disk, Disk Utility checks the partition maps on the disk and performs some additional checks, and then checks each volume. If you run First Aid on a volume, Disk Utility verifies all the contents of that volume only.

1. In the Disk Utility app  on your Mac, choose View > Show All Devices.
  2. Note: If you’re checking your startup disk or startup volume, restart your computer in macOS Recovery, select Disk Utility in the macOS Utilities window, then click Continue. If you check your startup volume (Macintosh HD), make sure you also check your data volume (Macintosh HD - Data).

In Disk Utility's View Menu, choose Show all devices, any change if you choose the top entry?

iMac 2011 disk is locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.