6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2010 10:01 AM by Jack Ball
Jack Ball Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
I always need to make the window wider when I do a search because the name is truncated and I need to move "kind" to see the entire name.
How may I make the window default to be 3 inches wider every time I do a search?

Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,615 points)
    Hi Jack,

    It should work if you put your cursor on the line between Name and Kind until the cursor turns to a cross and then just drag to size. It should stick. If not try resetting your Finder prefs...

    Go to Users/yourname/Library/Preferences and trash these two files:
    com.apple.finder.plist
    com.apple.sidebarlists.plist


    Then, restart.
    (You will have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

    EDIT: Dragging the Finder window from the bottom right will re-size the window and that should stick also, but of course it will re-size all Finder windows.



    -mj

    Message was edited by: macjack
  • Jack Ball Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    macjack wrote:
    Hi Jack,

    It should work if you put your cursor on the line between Name and Kind until the cursor turns to a cross and then just drag to size. It should stick. If not try resetting your Finder prefs...

    Go to Users/yourname/Library/Preferences and trash these two files:
    com.apple.finder.plist
    com.apple.sidebarlists.plist


    Then, restart.
    (You will have to reset a few finder prefs the way you like them.)

    EDIT: Dragging the Finder window from the bottom right will re-size the window and that should stick also, but of course it will re-size all Finder windows.



    -mj

    Message was edited by: macjack

    EDIT: Dragging the Finder window from the bottom right will re-size the window and that should stick also, but of course it will re-size all Finder windows.


    That's what I thought too but is does not stick. Other finder windows behave this way but not the search window.
  • macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,615 points)
    Jack Ball wrote:
    Other finder windows behave this way but not the search window.


    That's why I suggested deleting the prefs. Did you try that?
    I tested this on my own system and it worked for me.



    -mj
  • Jack Ball Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    It did not work for me.

    You're telling me that You can open the find window, stretch it all the way across your screen, widen or narrow your columns and those window modifications will remain for all subsequent times you do a command+F shortcut?

    None of the OSX machines in this department will do that.
    10.4.11
    10.5.7
    10.5.8

    I still have the standard sized window with the standard sized view columns.
    | Name | Kind | Last Opened |

    Which leads to another question. "Last opened" is rather useless.
    Someone in my department may have opened a file or folder to see what it was but did not modify it.
    How can I get a "last modified" criteria in a search window view without using a third party utility? I have requested this from apple several times since 10.5.X
    "Last modified" is much more useful
  • macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,615 points)
    Jack Ball wrote:
    You're telling me that You can open the find window, stretch it all the way across your screen, widen or narrow your columns and those window modifications will remain for all subsequent times you do a command+F shortcut?


    Yes, it does keep that pref even through several restarts. It may be because I'm running 10.6.4 and don't have a 10.5.x disk handy to test. I thought it was the same in 10.5 but perhaps not.
    Photobucket (Notice I have widened the column considerably and it sticks.

    AFA "Last Opened", notice the drop down menu in the screenshot... is this the feature you're talking about. It looks like Apple may have listened to your input and addressed it in 10.6



    -mj
  • Jack Ball Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    THANKS for the info.
    I'll have to stop by the Apple Store to see if 10.6 has other features I need.