Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iphone 5 still supported

My mother has an iphone 5 that hasn't been updated in a couple of years. It only connects to 3G. Can it connect to 4G ? She lives in another state and is 88 years old, so what does she have to do?

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 1:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 4:55 PM

iPhone 5 GSM and iPhone 5 CDMA support LTE, which is variously referred to as 4G or 4G LTE.

Update the iPhone, and load any pending carrier network update.

An iPhone will connect to what is supported by the carrier, among that which the device is capable.

Not having loaded updates or carrier network settings can effect connectivity.

Carriers can change what’s shown on the display, as one US carrier was displaying 5G E for 4G LTE connections, for instance.

iPhone 5 is no longer receiving Apple software updates.

There are vendors that provide simpler phones, if that’s of interest here.

I’ve worked with folks of varying ages that wanted or needed simpler.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2020 4:55 PM in response to usydlinda

iPhone 5 GSM and iPhone 5 CDMA support LTE, which is variously referred to as 4G or 4G LTE.

Update the iPhone, and load any pending carrier network update.

An iPhone will connect to what is supported by the carrier, among that which the device is capable.

Not having loaded updates or carrier network settings can effect connectivity.

Carriers can change what’s shown on the display, as one US carrier was displaying 5G E for 4G LTE connections, for instance.

iPhone 5 is no longer receiving Apple software updates.

There are vendors that provide simpler phones, if that’s of interest here.

I’ve worked with folks of varying ages that wanted or needed simpler.

Is iphone 5 still supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.