Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting older mac mini to newer display

How do I connect my older mac mini with thunderbolt 2 display port or HDMI display port to a new display with USB-C port? Is there an adapter available?

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 31, 2020 5:31 PM

There are two versions of the 24" LG display. The first was USB-C only, non-Thunderbolt. It has one USB-C port (no Lightning bolt icon) for the computer. It requires a computer with a USB-C port. (It doesn't have to be Thunderbolt 3.) It will not work with USB or Thunderbolt adapters. I doin't know of any way to make this display work with a 2014 Mac mini.

The latest version is USB-C and Thunderbolt 3. It has two USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports (Lightning bolt icon), and three USB-C (non-Thunderbolt 3) ports for peripherals. It should work with a Thunderbolt 3 adapter and Thunderbolt cable to a computer's Thunderbolt port.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 31, 2020 5:31 PM in response to bipulbikash

There are two versions of the 24" LG display. The first was USB-C only, non-Thunderbolt. It has one USB-C port (no Lightning bolt icon) for the computer. It requires a computer with a USB-C port. (It doesn't have to be Thunderbolt 3.) It will not work with USB or Thunderbolt adapters. I doin't know of any way to make this display work with a 2014 Mac mini.

The latest version is USB-C and Thunderbolt 3. It has two USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports (Lightning bolt icon), and three USB-C (non-Thunderbolt 3) ports for peripherals. It should work with a Thunderbolt 3 adapter and Thunderbolt cable to a computer's Thunderbolt port.

Aug 31, 2020 6:59 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Makes sense it does not work as I have the first generation LG Ultrafine display. I just had made a trip to the neighborhood Costco and got a new monitor to cut this short ( now too many radiating components on my table! ). Another Apple specific issue for me was in the likes of when I could not have my MBP/MBA display in the iMac 5K as it was the first gen again - buying something first gen probably comes issues - oh well, can't wait -> pay the price! Thanks for your help, I really appreciate the knowledge and your detailed explanations.

Connecting older mac mini to newer display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.