Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ridiculous Monthly Challenge Goals

What are we supposed to do when the Activity Monitor monthly challenge becomes unsafe / unrealistic to pursue? For September 2020, I am expected to average 1,881 calories a day. Achieving three or so '200% of Move goal' days is doable, but to do that every day for a month is nuts. I gave up on reaching the Monthly Challenge goal every month a year or so ago for similar reasons, but this is the most outrageous example I have seen so far. I believe the goal setting algorithm needs a coding adjustment.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 6

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 7:05 AM

My husband has 67,800 calories for September challenge! Last month he got 564 miles, which was 16 miles per day. This is crazy. This challenges are unhealthy, the exact opposite. I am afraid he will try to do it because he finished all the 2020 challenges so far, and its not easy when you have a job and drive for hours every day. To complete the challenge he needs to burn 2,238 calories every day! It’s unrealistic! For a person with a full job in a contry where walking pathways is a rare thing and your ‘move’ relays on your car.....these challenges are ridiculous. My September challange is doable, 14 days to double the ‘move’ ring. Last month I had 151 miles which I finished it in 3 weeks. I’m not obsessed with getting all the goals, that’s why when some challenges are exaggerated I won’t do it and I think this is the reason why my challenges are ‘soft’ than his. I hope Apple will reconsider these ‘goals’ and make them more realistic.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 7:05 AM in response to Captain_Kaizen

My husband has 67,800 calories for September challenge! Last month he got 564 miles, which was 16 miles per day. This is crazy. This challenges are unhealthy, the exact opposite. I am afraid he will try to do it because he finished all the 2020 challenges so far, and its not easy when you have a job and drive for hours every day. To complete the challenge he needs to burn 2,238 calories every day! It’s unrealistic! For a person with a full job in a contry where walking pathways is a rare thing and your ‘move’ relays on your car.....these challenges are ridiculous. My September challange is doable, 14 days to double the ‘move’ ring. Last month I had 151 miles which I finished it in 3 weeks. I’m not obsessed with getting all the goals, that’s why when some challenges are exaggerated I won’t do it and I think this is the reason why my challenges are ‘soft’ than his. I hope Apple will reconsider these ‘goals’ and make them more realistic.

Sep 1, 2020 9:02 AM in response to Followthesky

Thank you for sharing. I have been using the Activity Monitor for over two years, and your post helps confirm my suspicions. I believe that the watch algorithms have no upper limit or any form of 'reasonableness' boundaries programmed into the code.

Each time you hit a certain type of goal, the next one of that type will be higher. I stopped going after the 'miles' goal when I was 'challenged' with a level similar to the 16 daily miles your husband was challenged with. I have enough unmanaged OCD in me to be tempted, but I have also tracked enough data to learn when too much is too much.

Now, I shoot for a set level of calories, miles, and minutes a day - anything over that is a good day. I have enough trend data to tell what me what levels make sense and what is essentially stupid. This will be different for everyone, and that is okay. The key is to keep fit and not get hurt.

I agree with you 100% - if Apple does not fix this, some hyper-competitive person is going to hurt themselves, or worse. Thanks again!

Sep 3, 2020 10:28 AM in response to Captain_Kaizen

Here is one more interesting item I found today. I wanted a copy of my 1,881 calories a day goal for September for a related Facebook post I was writing. I saved a copy of the screen with that goal on it to my Files folder. When I opened the folder, there were two files in there - a PNG for the graphic itself and a text file. I opened the text file to see if it reflected the goal.

It did not. Instead, there was an Apple generated text message that read "I will achieve my monthly goal and earn the September challenge. #applewatch". Imagine that. Apple is inserting their own encouragement automatically, thereby indirectly encouraging people to pursue what could become an unhealthy and unsafe goal once lower level challenges have been achieved. SMH!

Sep 1, 2020 9:06 AM in response to kennethfromclonakilty

Please keep in mind that the more you do, the higher your next goal will be. I thought things would reset when I skipped the last insane monthly 'miles' level I was given, but no.

Find a level that works for, and challenges, you. Recognize yourself for doing well - don't see the watch as an expert coach, because it is not, at least as it is currently programmed. 1,086 calories a day is well above average based on my research, so keep it up.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated!

Sep 1, 2020 1:34 PM in response to kennethfromclonakilty

One hour for a hard workout for an entire month! There is not time in between for body to recover, which is an important aspect. And not every day is a good day. As example, last sunday i had a power walk for 15 miles in 3 1/2 hours. The watch showed I burned almost 1700 active calories. So think again. To complete you have to reach the daily goal, otherwise is going to be over 1,086 a day. The idea behind it, is grea but....Apple is just making fun.

Ridiculous Monthly Challenge Goals

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.