Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hey siri difficulty

Hey so my hey siri isn't working

When I try set it up it doesn't recognize a voice

My mic is fine and it works when I hold my home button it just won't set up.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 4:48 AM

See the specific section in this support article:--> If Siri or "Hey Siri" isn't working - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

4 replies

Sep 19, 2020 2:10 PM in response to Caitlinm217

I’m seeing the same problem on my daughters iPhone 6S. Followed the support article steps. This was iOS 13.7 and also again on iOS 14.0.

Mics work - confirmed on calls, dictation, voice memos

Siri works after 3 second delay when activated with home button.

Hey Siri does not work. Turned off hey Siri in Siri settings and turned back on to go through setup steps. It doesn’t pickup her saying Hey Siri in step 1. 

I did notice something new though which I’m wondering if you can replicate.

I did a video at first and the microphone worked fine on the replay. However, when I did a selfie video the microphone volume was quite noticeably low for the first couple of seconds and then I could hear it. Can you see if that happens with you too?

Apple Support had me go through the Siri not working support article steps and wants to bring the device in for repair. My hunch tells me it’s a software bug, but there are multiple microphones on the phone and I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the bottom mic or top mic. Also, the fact that it’s low and not completely dead and then turns on is also baffling.

I’ve used my fingers to cover the different mics and I think the culprit is that Siri is using the mic in the back - which seems weird and counterintuitive.

Can you also confirm what model iPhone and iOS version you’re running. I’m trying to compile across multiple reports.

Hey siri difficulty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.