Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple I watch series 2 for tracking a child

Hi there. A friend just gave me her old Apple series 2 watch and I was hoping to pair it with a new phone for my 12 year old son, however, I don’t want to give him the phone just yet and allow him to use just the watch for location tracking and communication instead. If he’s wearing the watch while riding his bike (no cell or WiFi) and I have his phone can I track his location on his phone or mine while he’s out and about? Can I use the find my phone feature or the gps to locate him as needed? Can I communicate with him in any way without cellular or WiFi on the series 2? My MAIN goal for the watch is the location service and for being able to track his location while out. Thanks in advance for any help or tips you can provide!

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 8:57 AM

Mightymamam wrote:

If he’s wearing the watch while riding his bike (no cell or WiFi) and I have his phone can I track his location on his phone or mine while he’s out and about?

More details on the limits of the technology, past the (correct) “no” above: If there’s no cellular plan and no Wi-Fi network, there are no communications paths available from Apple Watch, so there is and can be no remote tracking.

There are hiking-related tracking devices which do have satellite communications for this purpose, but Apple Watch does not have a satellite transmitter. Apple Watch does have a satellite positioning receiver. But not a satellite transmitter.

A Watch can be used to track location with the exercise tracking, but that data is only available once back within range of the paired iPhone.

Active tracking is trivial to avoid and/or to disable, too. Satellite GPS coverage stinks inside buildings, for instance. And Watch and similar devices can be switched into Airplane Mode, or shut down.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 8:57 AM in response to Mightymamam

Mightymamam wrote:

If he’s wearing the watch while riding his bike (no cell or WiFi) and I have his phone can I track his location on his phone or mine while he’s out and about?

More details on the limits of the technology, past the (correct) “no” above: If there’s no cellular plan and no Wi-Fi network, there are no communications paths available from Apple Watch, so there is and can be no remote tracking.

There are hiking-related tracking devices which do have satellite communications for this purpose, but Apple Watch does not have a satellite transmitter. Apple Watch does have a satellite positioning receiver. But not a satellite transmitter.

A Watch can be used to track location with the exercise tracking, but that data is only available once back within range of the paired iPhone.

Active tracking is trivial to avoid and/or to disable, too. Satellite GPS coverage stinks inside buildings, for instance. And Watch and similar devices can be switched into Airplane Mode, or shut down.

Sep 1, 2020 8:20 AM in response to Mightymamam

Mightymamam wrote:

If he’s wearing the watch while riding his bike (no cell or WiFi) and I have his phone can I track his location on his phone or mine while he’s out and about? Can I use the find my phone feature or the gps to locate him as needed? Can I communicate with him in any way without cellular or WiFi on the series 2?

No to all of the above.

Apple I watch series 2 for tracking a child

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.