Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home WiFi Issue - due to AirPort Express?

Hi,

I currently use an AirPort Express (2nd Gen) devices to power all wifi in my home. Over time the amount of devices that it supports has grown considerably.

• iPhones & iPads
  • MacBook Air Early 2015
  • Apple TV 3rd Gen
  • Windows PC
  • Samsung TV
  • Amazon Alexa Devices
  • Sonos Speakers
  • Phillips Hue Lights
  • Misc other SMART Home devices

Based on the device page on AirPort Utility, the official number of clients is only 16. Tech Specs of the devices say it supports 50 devices.

However, I experience unstable internet on a regular basis for things like AirPlay 2 over Sonos, streamed content on Apple TV and just simple internet browsing and app usage on iPhones. I experience the issue far less while working on the computer.

I suspect that the amount of devices being used simultaneously in my home has outgrown the AirPort Express, but I haven't found anything in writing that supports that theory yet.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with AirPort Express?

AirPort

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 8:58 AM

In theory, the AirPort Express might be able to handle 50 connections, but "specifications" like this are pretty much meaningless. For example, Apple does not tell you that the network would really start to slow down significantly at about 10 devices and probably become unusable at 20-25.

Frankly, your current requirements are beyond the capabilities of the AirPort Express, which was designed almost 10 years ago, long before the explosive growth of wireless lighting, home security and streaming services.

Time for a new router or mesh system if you need extended WiFi coverage throughout your home.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 8:58 AM in response to nvelazquez88

In theory, the AirPort Express might be able to handle 50 connections, but "specifications" like this are pretty much meaningless. For example, Apple does not tell you that the network would really start to slow down significantly at about 10 devices and probably become unusable at 20-25.

Frankly, your current requirements are beyond the capabilities of the AirPort Express, which was designed almost 10 years ago, long before the explosive growth of wireless lighting, home security and streaming services.

Time for a new router or mesh system if you need extended WiFi coverage throughout your home.

Sep 1, 2020 8:37 AM in response to nvelazquez88

It’s old and slow, and old enough to be failing, and a crowded Wi-Fi is flaky, and Wi-Fi interference from other networks is subtle.

I’ve had Apple Wi-Fi networks just drop out from time to time. Ended up replacing those Apple devices.

It’s also possible that your ISP link is old and slow and dropping out, or under-rated for your needs, though.

Or that you’ve got a really busy Wi-Fi client. Video streaming is more demanding than audio streaming, etc.

The number of clients is less of an issue than the aggregate of the network activity.

To start... Use the “hidden” Wi-Fi performance display on your Mac and have a look at the data; option-click on the Wi-Fi menu item. Post the values for the Channel, Country, RSSI, noise, TX Rate, PHY Mode, and (if any) the total number of other Wi-Fi networks shown in the list below your own Wi-Fi you’re connected to.

Better: Acquire Wi-Fi Explorer or another tool for your Mac, and scan what’s available.

Sep 1, 2020 7:11 PM in response to nvelazquez88

Your signal strength is reasonably strong, noise normal, speed is good, you’re getting two-thirds of the theoretical speed, but that many strong local Wi-Fi networks nearby is likely going to incur interference as folks get tossed around by channel re-selection.

The Wi-Fi Explorer app or similar can show you the other Wi-Fi users’ channels. (But again, somebody reboots a Wi-Fi router, and that then sets off a cascade of channel reassignments.)

The other limit here is your ISP and your network bandwidth.

Local preference for Wi-Fi replacements is Ubiquiti access points, but that’s a little more complex to set up, and you’l need to provide DHCP, firewall, and related services. Lower-powered WiFi with 802.11ac with MIMO is probably your path of choice.

Home WiFi Issue - due to AirPort Express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.