Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2012 iMac Catalina stalled install

I started the update to Catalina yesterday afternoon and 22 hours later I am stuck at a "Estimating time remaining..." and a 3/4 progress bar from this AM. I hear it can be slow but this has not moved. Not sure if I should just let it go or if I need to intervene in the process. I do not want to lose it all even with a time machine back-up. Any thoughts?

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 10:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 11:26 AM

Force shut down and reboot. See were it is after that.

If it still stalls at that point boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and see if the problem persists.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 11:26 AM in response to StuartJ

Force shut down and reboot. See were it is after that.

If it still stalls at that point boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and see if the problem persists.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Late 2012 iMac Catalina stalled install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.