Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switched Apple IDs on my mac but FaceTime's "Calls From iPhone" setting uses the wrong phone number

When I first got my work Mac I signed in with a different Apple ID (my personal one.) After a while I realized it would be better to separate work and personal life so I got a new Apple ID for my job when I got a work-assigned iPhone. I made sure to remove my work Mac from my personal iCloud account, too, and removed my old iCloud account from Internet Accounts on my work Mac as well. I signed out of my personal Apple ID on Messages, FaceTime, and of course, System Preferences. Then, I signed into my new Apple ID on all three. Should have been fine, right?

Well, when I tried to enable the "Calls From iPhone" setting on FaceTime on my work Mac, it showed my personal phone number on the caller ID! This is not even in the list of numbers/addresses I can be reached at in my work Apple ID account. I don't even have my work devices on the same network as my personal ones. My work iPhone has never had my personal Apple ID signed in, so it seems to be fine. But because there are traces of my personal Apple ID on my work Mac, my work Mac is somehow stuck in the past. I've even tried deleting anything that included my personal Apple ID's username from my keychains in Keychain Access but it's to no avail.

I've got the latest version of iOS and macOS on both of these devices respectively, so no worries there. This problem occurs regardless of whether I have iCloud Keychain turned on in my Apple ID settings on my work Mac. I checked my work's Apple ID's devices both in their own settings and also on icloud.com and they all seem right. And my personal phone's Apple ID's devices are also correct.

My hunch is that this value is set in a plist somewhere, but I could be totally off. Can anyone help me get the "Calls From iPhone" caller ID set to the right number?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 2:26 PM

Hi Chuck, the personal number was not used. I can confirm it doesn't show up in Messages or FaceTime.

However, today the "Calls from iPhone" setting does not say which number will be used as the Caller ID at all. I have changed nothing, the only thing that happened between when I posted this question and now is my Mac had crashed for some reason. I think maybe rebooting fixed the problem, or it was a matter of something in the cloud syncing overnight. Regardless, my issue is resolved, and I guess I would tell anyone having this issue to also try rebooting...

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2020 2:26 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi Chuck, the personal number was not used. I can confirm it doesn't show up in Messages or FaceTime.

However, today the "Calls from iPhone" setting does not say which number will be used as the Caller ID at all. I have changed nothing, the only thing that happened between when I posted this question and now is my Mac had crashed for some reason. I think maybe rebooting fixed the problem, or it was a matter of something in the cloud syncing overnight. Regardless, my issue is resolved, and I guess I would tell anyone having this issue to also try rebooting...

Sep 2, 2020 2:11 PM in response to angarrett

Hello angarrett,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

From reading your post, it appears personal information is coming up on your working Mac, signed into a work Apple ID you created, correct? We're here to help you take a look into that!

When creating the work Apple ID was the personal number used in setting up the Apple ID? To double check these settings, here are a couple articles to follow with steps to help resolve this issue:

Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime

Manage and use your Apple ID

If the issue persists, please don't hesitate to post a reply on the thread!

Take Care!

Switched Apple IDs on my mac but FaceTime's "Calls From iPhone" setting uses the wrong phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.