Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I keep Airport Extreme with Cox Gigablast or switch to Panoramic Wifi?

I'm moving to a brand new home where Cox Fiber is available. I've been using an Airport Extreme as my router with several Airport Expresses to extend the network and help my (many) HomeKit devices stay connected better. What is the recommendation? Should I keep the Airport Extreme network or use the Panoramic Wifi offered?

One of my purposes in using Airport Expresses is to connect speakers for AirPlay throughout the house. I do own a HomePod, but I'm not able to purchase another at this time. If I switch to Panoramic WiFi, do all those Airports just become useless? How do I then get music in all the rooms?

I'm looking for recommendations here. What's your favorite setup?

HomePod

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 10:38 PM

This is exactly what I needed to know. The speed offered is higher than the limits of the Extreme, but the modem can also be used as a router. I agree with not renting equipment, I've always owned mine, but Cox doesn't seem to be allowing the purchase of the Panoramic equipment at all. So going with Gigablast seems the best option, at least for now. At some point I know a mesh system will be best, but I'd rather wait to move that direction. But what I really needed and wanted to know was if the Express could still work for Airplay. Thank you for your expertise! Much appreciated.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 10:38 PM in response to LaPastenague

This is exactly what I needed to know. The speed offered is higher than the limits of the Extreme, but the modem can also be used as a router. I agree with not renting equipment, I've always owned mine, but Cox doesn't seem to be allowing the purchase of the Panoramic equipment at all. So going with Gigablast seems the best option, at least for now. At some point I know a mesh system will be best, but I'd rather wait to move that direction. But what I really needed and wanted to know was if the Express could still work for Airplay. Thank you for your expertise! Much appreciated.

Sep 1, 2020 6:25 PM in response to Kathleenfromaz

Should I keep the Airport Extreme network or use the Panoramic Wifi offered?

I am not in US so take with a grain of salt.

If the Panoramic wifi is offered for sale as a combined modem router buy it.. but rental is bad idea. Companies love renting you stuff because it supplies a continuous income stream forevermore.

Single point wifi router is not generally suitable in a large house and you will still need a mesh network of some kind.

A quick google I see cox offers mesh type extenders but frankly you will have no idea if these are good bad or otherwise.. so consider alternatives.

https://www.cox.com/residential/internet/panoramic-whole-house-wifi/pods.html

I think it is better to buy your own modem.. so pick one that cox lists as compatible. Avoid if possible the Arris models as Airport Extreme can have issues with them.

For the rest just use your existing Extreme and Express.. unless your connection exceeds about 350Mbps which is the limit of the Extreme. In that case you might as well go straight to Mesh system.

If you go the Panoramic route then you can still use the Extreme and Express in bridge.. or you can still run the Express by ethernet or wifi in client mode.. they cannot extend wireless in client mode but can do airplay if you want.

At some point you should go mesh. Apple gave up their own airport router line and now sell mesh routers from a few different manufacturers. Better mesh products are coming out all the time.. and prices for average quality ones keep getting better so when you are ready buy what is in your budget and fits your needs.

Nothing replaces the Express for airplay though.. so if you still need airplay to your sound system that does not have inbuilt airplay functionality.. keep the express.. they still work with whatever brand .. with the proviso ethernet is superior by far cf wireless links.

Should I keep Airport Extreme with Cox Gigablast or switch to Panoramic Wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.