Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use MacBook Air as a secondary screen

I want to use a MacBook Air as a secondary screen to my desktop iMac.

MacBook Air is 13", Early 2104 Model.

iMac is 21.5", Late 2013 Model.

I've connected the two using Apple Thunderbolt Cable. I've tried "Command f2" on the MacBook and there is no response. HOWEVER, the "Command f2" on the iMac worked and the iMac became the secondary screen to the MacBook.

Is there any way to enable the MacBook Air to be a secondary screen?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 10:21 PM

Your setup is working the way it is supposed to. Your iMac can use the Target Display Mode and be the External Display to your MacBook Air. Your MacBook Air, however, as you discovered, cannot be the External Display to your iMac.

Note: Target Display Mode isn’t supported on iMac models with Retina display. Only iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010), and iMac (Mid 2011 to Mid 2014) support Target Display Mode.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 10:21 PM in response to geedoy

Your setup is working the way it is supposed to. Your iMac can use the Target Display Mode and be the External Display to your MacBook Air. Your MacBook Air, however, as you discovered, cannot be the External Display to your iMac.

Note: Target Display Mode isn’t supported on iMac models with Retina display. Only iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010), and iMac (Mid 2011 to Mid 2014) support Target Display Mode.

Axel F.

Use MacBook Air as a secondary screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.