Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't I ever find a recent backup to my Apple Watch when i restore from my iPhone?

It says that when I unpair my Phone and Apple watch, that it will create a backup of my watch which I can then restore when re-pair my phone.

Yet, when I go to restore after resetting the watch or iPhone, I can never find a recent backup that was supposed to have been made! All I can find are old backups to restore that date back to 2017!

How can one make a straight-up backup of the Watch?

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2020 7:59 PM

The last paragraph of:

Back up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

says:

When you unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone, your iPhone automatically creates a backup of your Apple Watch. Unpairing will erase all data from your Apple Watch. If your Apple Watch is unpaired while out of range of your iPhone, the backup might not have the latest data. When you're ready, you can pair your Apple Watch again and set it up from a backup.

Is there enough storage on your iPhone to create a new backup?

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Those are all the ideas I can think of.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 1, 2020 7:59 PM in response to kennethpm

The last paragraph of:

Back up your Apple Watch - Apple Support

says:

When you unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone, your iPhone automatically creates a backup of your Apple Watch. Unpairing will erase all data from your Apple Watch. If your Apple Watch is unpaired while out of range of your iPhone, the backup might not have the latest data. When you're ready, you can pair your Apple Watch again and set it up from a backup.

Is there enough storage on your iPhone to create a new backup?

The first (and simplest) thing to try if something isn’t working right is to restart your Apple Watch and its paired iPhone. If necessary (device not responding), try a forced restart. Both methods can be found here:

How to restart your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

Those are all the ideas I can think of.

why can't I ever find a recent backup to my Apple Watch when i restore from my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.