Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bird killing me. :(

My Mac is freezing. :(

Specifically... This process:

Xxxxx-MacBook-Pro:Documents xxxxxx$ ps -ef | grep bird

501   346     1   0  3:04AM ??         4:19.14 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CloudDocsDaemon.framework/Versions/A/Support/bird

Any ideas? This didn't happen before. Last time I reloaded my OS I didn't have this problem. Not sure what happened. (It's a brand new OS for crying out loud!) (supposed to be new anyway).

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 3:40 AM

The bird process is the back end process behind iCloud drive.

Are all your files synced? If not, it will take some CPU and sync some files until they're uploaded/dowloaded. Performance varies; I've seen it take quite a while to copy, say, 10 GB of files. How much did you move to iCloud drive?

Killing the process may not help; it will just start up again. You could try restarting, but you may just want to give it time.

If you open terminal and enter:

brctl log --wait --shorten

You can see a log of iCloud Drive transactions being made.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2020 3:40 AM in response to jbyrnescu

The bird process is the back end process behind iCloud drive.

Are all your files synced? If not, it will take some CPU and sync some files until they're uploaded/dowloaded. Performance varies; I've seen it take quite a while to copy, say, 10 GB of files. How much did you move to iCloud drive?

Killing the process may not help; it will just start up again. You could try restarting, but you may just want to give it time.

If you open terminal and enter:

brctl log --wait --shorten

You can see a log of iCloud Drive transactions being made.

Bird killing me. :(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.