Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Calendar search

Despite many posts contradicting this, I find that when I search for a event in the calendar app, results only go back one year. I have always had sync set to all events, never a time frame. I can search back indefinitely on my macbook, just none of the iOS devices. Here, the results go back exactly one year. Most event entries have been created on the phone, not the macbook, so the iCloud sync is functioning as expected.

This certainly can not be seen as a feature. It might not technically be a bug, but why this limitation? It makes search essentially useless fo finding, say, a doctors appointment from 5 years ago unless you happen to have a macbook, or a good memory. Which makes the search function nearly useless. Yes, it can search into the future perhaps. But rearward looking is important also, to figure out when you need to schedule the next test you are supposed to get every 5 years, say.

iPhone XS, 13

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 10:38 AM

You can scroll back more than one year, but the Search in the calendar app is limited to one year in the past. Fortunately, there are a number of 3rd party apps that use the iPhone’s calendar database and let you search any date range. I am partial to WeekCalendar, but there are several others that are comparable. I am able to search back to 1998 with WeekCalendar, which includes the calendar I imported from my Palm Pilot.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 10:38 AM in response to chapelroad

You can scroll back more than one year, but the Search in the calendar app is limited to one year in the past. Fortunately, there are a number of 3rd party apps that use the iPhone’s calendar database and let you search any date range. I am partial to WeekCalendar, but there are several others that are comparable. I am able to search back to 1998 with WeekCalendar, which includes the calendar I imported from my Palm Pilot.

Sep 3, 2020 12:00 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Your answer confirms what I tested on my iPhone and iPad.

For a company who has long provided, and advertised, a seamless user experience across devices I find it odd that I can search back indefinitely on my 2011 MacBook but not my 2019 10XS. You know Steve Jobs would be livid if the answer to achieve seamlessness is a third party app.

It seems unlikely there is a hardware restriction on this function. It seems deliberate.

Sep 3, 2020 12:27 PM in response to chapelroad

Apple’s built in apps are very basic, probably so app developers don’t see Apple as competing with them. That strategy works, because there are currently 2 million apps in the App Store. I hardly use any of the built in apps; there is a wide selection of 3rd party apps that are much more advanced than Apple’s in almost every category. I use the camera app and Contacts; that’s about it. And I have supplemental apps that enhance both.

Sep 3, 2020 10:36 AM in response to chapelroad

Hey there chapelroad,

Thanks for reaching out here in Apple Support Communities. Based on your post it sounds like you want to access events in Calendar that are in the past, over a year old. Is that correct? We're happy to help provide a bit of insight.

You should be able to access old Events unless you have your Sync settings configured for a certain period of time. You can check your Sync settings in Settings > Calendar > Sync. The article below provides some insight as well. Take a look under "Check your app settings."

If your iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders won’t sync

If your settings are configured to "All Events" you can try toggling Calendar off, and restarting the iPhone before enabling Calendar again. We would also recommend checking your iOS version as well. If you continue to run into complications, the Apple Support team can help take a closer look.

Restart your iPhone

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Contact Apple Support

Regards.

iPhone Calendar search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.