Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get Photos slideshows to show the full length MP4 movie files instead of being cut off after 1 second?

I just got a new iMac and am using Photos version 5.0 in Catalina. I'm coming from a very old 2.0 version of Photos. I've always interspersed still photos and short movie clips into my slideshow projects with no problems. In 5.0 my MP4 movie clips/files are only displaying the first 1 second or so before transitioning into the next file instead of showing the full length of the file. Is there a setting for this or did they just remove the capability of the app to include full length movie files in slide shows? This is a separate but somewhat related topic as well ---I also noticed that this current version of Photos doesn't seem to recognize AVCHD movie files? The old version had no problem with these but it seems as though I have to convert them now and then import them into Photos. I couldn't find topics related to these issues so any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 1:58 PM

The slideshows are the last kind of project that is still available in Photos. Books, Calendars, cards are no longer supported. And there has been no update to the slideshows since Photos came out. They are still not as versatile as they have been in iPhoto or Aperture. Slideshows cannot show the titles of the photos or the date automatically as an annotation. Slideshows cannot even show Live Photos alive, only as still photos.

Apple seems now to be phasing out the slideshows in favour of the memories. The preview for the next system Big Sur will bring improved Memory movies, but there is nothing new announced with respect to the slideshows. macOS Big Sur Preview - Features - Apple

For the time being I am creating my slideshows with Keynote.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2020 1:58 PM in response to kn_97

The slideshows are the last kind of project that is still available in Photos. Books, Calendars, cards are no longer supported. And there has been no update to the slideshows since Photos came out. They are still not as versatile as they have been in iPhoto or Aperture. Slideshows cannot show the titles of the photos or the date automatically as an annotation. Slideshows cannot even show Live Photos alive, only as still photos.

Apple seems now to be phasing out the slideshows in favour of the memories. The preview for the next system Big Sur will bring improved Memory movies, but there is nothing new announced with respect to the slideshows. macOS Big Sur Preview - Features - Apple

For the time being I am creating my slideshows with Keynote.

Sep 3, 2020 9:35 AM in response to kn_97

You just reminded me that I hated Photos when it came out and replaced iPhoto. Now, I'm also realizing that I can't even access my Photos library when trying to upload photos to my flickr.com page. I have to take an extra step and export what I want out of Photos and then upload from there.

You should be able to upload to Flickr by using the browser. Flickr should have a link/button to select photos to upload. In the next window go to the Media section in the sidebar and click on Photos. In the righthand pane click on Photos Library and then select the photos to upload. The library must be designated the System Photo Library.

I'd create a special album (#3) and add the photos to upload to it so it's easier to find in the browser window.

Sep 2, 2020 1:34 PM in response to Old Toad

(sigh) Thank you! I always used the Ken Burns theme. Frustrating how later versions of apps come with less capabilities. I'm noticing just how many things are like this in my work flow due to the fact that I haven't upgraded in a long time --partly, for this reason. I just didn't know the extent of the limitations and reduction of conveniences.

Sep 3, 2020 8:08 AM in response to léonie

Big thanks. You just reminded me that I hated Photos when it came out and replaced iPhoto. Now, I'm also realizing that I can't even access my Photos library when trying to upload photos to my flickr.com page. I have to take an extra step and export what I want out of Photos and then upload from there. For the time being, as far as slideshows go, I exported the photos I wanted to use to a desktop folder, then accessed those photos from my old laptop and imported them into a new Photos library on that computer and made my slideshow in Photos 2.0. Stupidly, I was thinking my workflow would decrease by getting a new CPU with the better processing speed. Not slowing me down with 3-4 extra steps with everything that I normally do from projects to simply uploading files from Photos to social media sites like flickr, FB, etc. I'll have to take a look at Keynote. I've heard of it but never used it.

Sep 3, 2020 8:42 PM in response to Old Toad

Ah, no wonder. Thanks. I have my Photos library on an external drive so when I try and upload using my browser, it's accessing the internal drive Photos library which is the reason why it's not showing any of my photos. So, when I try to access my photo files by opening up the external drive Photos library, it's greyed out. Is there a way to designate this external drive Photos library as my main library or to allow the browser to access it for uploading purposes?

How can I get Photos slideshows to show the full length MP4 movie files instead of being cut off after 1 second?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.