Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete a line break from a spreadsheet in Numbers?

MacBook

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 6:08 AM

Hi Jennifer,

Select the text to reveal the line breaks (if any).

If there are line breaks, select just one and menu > Edit > Find > Use Selection for Find (command E).

Then Menu > Edit > Find... (command F)

A hard return appears as \n (or you can simply type \n in the Find box.

A soft return appears as \i (or you can simply type \i in the Find box.

In the Replace box, leave it empty or type a space, depending upon how the line breaks were entered.

Please make a copy of your document and practise on the copy. If you Replace All, it will do a Replace over the entire document!

Regards,

Ian.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 6:08 AM in response to jenniferfromcastro valley

Hi Jennifer,

Select the text to reveal the line breaks (if any).

If there are line breaks, select just one and menu > Edit > Find > Use Selection for Find (command E).

Then Menu > Edit > Find... (command F)

A hard return appears as \n (or you can simply type \n in the Find box.

A soft return appears as \i (or you can simply type \i in the Find box.

In the Replace box, leave it empty or type a space, depending upon how the line breaks were entered.

Please make a copy of your document and practise on the copy. If you Replace All, it will do a Replace over the entire document!

Regards,

Ian.

Sep 3, 2020 5:03 AM in response to jenniferfromcastro valley

You may have to explain what you mean a little further. The answer to the questions is way too simple (select the line break and hit delete, just like you would do with a line break in pretty much any other application) for this to be what you really mean.

Maybe you mean text wrapping where words will move to additional lines if the cell is not wide enough?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.