You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location finding (iOS Find My app) slow and non-refreshing

For the past several months, the normally ultra-reliable Find My app has stopped working effectively when using it to locate a member of my family using iOS device in LTE-land.

When I try and find my family member, Find My takes a long time to find them (often at least a few minutes), and when it does, usually isn't able to locate them with much accuracy (the accuracy is typically several miles wide) whereas in the past, it used to find them (usually) specific to a house.

Furthermore, Find My doesn't seem to update often. If it eventually finds my family member to within several miles, it may not update for 30-60 minutes -- not getting a more accurate pinpoint location -- nor noticing if my family member moves. Sometimes I try and locate them, get location data that's 60 minutes old, and before I know it, they're really in a completely different location, which hasn't been updated.

I don't think the problem is literally with the Find My app. (That's just where I see the symptom.) I think there's something wonky with the specific iOS device. Is there any way to reset these location services and maybe get it working properly again?

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 2, 2020 10:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 7:42 AM

Hello there, David Das1.

It sounds like you're having some issues with Find My and the time it takes to locate someone.

If you haven't already, please make sure your device is backed up, and updated to the latest version the hardware supports.

If the issue continues beyond that, try these more detailed steps.

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2020 7:42 AM in response to David Das1

Hello there, David Das1.

It sounds like you're having some issues with Find My and the time it takes to locate someone.

If you haven't already, please make sure your device is backed up, and updated to the latest version the hardware supports.

If the issue continues beyond that, try these more detailed steps.

Cheers!

Location finding (iOS Find My app) slow and non-refreshing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.