Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External microphone AND headphones or speakers at the same time?

I need to conduct zoom/skype/teams calls using an external mic. I have a lightning to USB adaptor that connects up and the microphone works fine...but when it is detected, the iPad turns off the internal speaker and headphone socket so I cannot hear any audio output from the device. Is there a solution for this?

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 2:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 3:35 AM

The iPad hardware will always send audio to the device where the microphone is located. As such, when using the 3.5mm audio jack, the hardware will assume that you are using earbuds (that include a microphone) for listening to audio.

If you a just connecting a microphone, the iPad speaker(s) will be muted. If you need to simultaneously use both headphones and a separate microphone, you’ll need to find a suitable “splitter” adapter. These aren’t sold by Apple, but they are relatively easy to find at a popular online retailer. Whilst not making any recommendations, here is one example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-POSUGEAR-Headphone-Microphone-Compatible-Black/dp/B079PJL14Y/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Mic+Splitter&qid=1599129224&sr=8-3

One very good reason for this arrangement is to prevent feedback “howl” - that would otherwise occur.

I hope this explanation proves to be helpful to you - if only in understanding why this behaviour occurs - and in identifying a potential solution for your needs.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 3:35 AM in response to chichello

The iPad hardware will always send audio to the device where the microphone is located. As such, when using the 3.5mm audio jack, the hardware will assume that you are using earbuds (that include a microphone) for listening to audio.

If you a just connecting a microphone, the iPad speaker(s) will be muted. If you need to simultaneously use both headphones and a separate microphone, you’ll need to find a suitable “splitter” adapter. These aren’t sold by Apple, but they are relatively easy to find at a popular online retailer. Whilst not making any recommendations, here is one example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-POSUGEAR-Headphone-Microphone-Compatible-Black/dp/B079PJL14Y/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Mic+Splitter&qid=1599129224&sr=8-3

One very good reason for this arrangement is to prevent feedback “howl” - that would otherwise occur.

I hope this explanation proves to be helpful to you - if only in understanding why this behaviour occurs - and in identifying a potential solution for your needs.

External microphone AND headphones or speakers at the same time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.