Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

issue with cellular data usage

I checked my current period's cellular data usage and I am at 17.2 GB (about halfway through). Which to me seems absolutely absurd. It's been this high for a couple months and I've been barely leaving my apartment (which has good WiFi) with all the covid quarantine stuff.

This seems so absurdly high also because prior to switching to an Iphone on Xfinity Mobile (which charges per GB used so my bills have been also absurd) I was using a Google Pixel on Google's network and never exceed 3 GB used in a single period once.

Is this a known issue? Does anyone else see this? I tried turning off cellular data for a bunch of apps but again I am barely off WiFi so this all just seems so confusing.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 6:53 AM

The period shown in Settings->Cellular / Mobile is not tied to your actual service plan's monthly period.

It is entirely independent, and controlled by you entirely. As such unless you are clearing it every month on your monthly cutoff date it will show the added usage since the last time it was reset.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the App list there, under "Reset Statistics" it will tell you when it was last reset, and as such since when it has been adding up the usage.

You can tap the "Reset Statistics" button there to correctly measure it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2020 6:53 AM in response to mplsfoodyguy

The period shown in Settings->Cellular / Mobile is not tied to your actual service plan's monthly period.

It is entirely independent, and controlled by you entirely. As such unless you are clearing it every month on your monthly cutoff date it will show the added usage since the last time it was reset.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the App list there, under "Reset Statistics" it will tell you when it was last reset, and as such since when it has been adding up the usage.

You can tap the "Reset Statistics" button there to correctly measure it.

issue with cellular data usage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.