Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

frequent kernel panics under 10.15.6

Since about one and a half week, I have frequent, out of the blue, kernel panics. MacBook Pro just give black screen with grey text and restarts. This is the report.

How can I fix this? Already went to an Apple Premium Service Provider. They looked and the hardware seems fine. Maybe a kernel extensions of software issue?

MacBook

Posted on Sep 3, 2020 12:49 PM

14 replies

Sep 5, 2020 3:27 PM in response to sander70

A superseded version of the following Apple Support document contained the excerpt below: OS X: When your computer spontaneously restarts or displays "Your computer restarted because of a problem." - Apple Support.

"Note: If you find the term "machine check" in the "Problem Details and System Configuration" field of this report, it may indicate a hardware-related issue."

That excerpt has been removed but it remains relevant. That Mac has a hardware problem. The KP report specifically implicated its file system.

Your EtreCheck report reveals the culprit:

disk0 - Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB 1.00 TB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes)

The Samsung "EVO" series SSDs do not enjoy a good reputation among Mac users. Replace it with one that does.

Sep 4, 2020 1:49 PM in response to Barney-15E

As I already mentioned, i took it to an AASP. They didn’t find any hardware problems.

i booted into safe mode today, issue still exits. I made a second user, issue still exits.

i Downloaded the 10.15.6 combo update and installed it over my current 10.15.6 system, issue still exists.

I’ve run the AHT, no issues with the hardware.

i also ran EtreCheck, no hardware issues there.

I’m now think of doing a macOS reinstall via recovery mode. This should leave my files, data and email etc in place but gives me a fresh clean 10.15.6. Is that a good idea?

Sep 4, 2020 8:27 PM in response to sander70

As I already mentioned, i took it to an AASP. They didn’t find any hardware problems.

Did you ask them why you are getting kernel panics and Machine Checks if you don't have a hardware problem?

A kernel panic is almost always caused by third-party kernel extensions and hardware problems. You don't have any third-party kernel extensions loaded.

Sep 5, 2020 3:51 AM in response to lkrupp

i booted into safe mode today, issue still exits. I made a second user, issue still exits.

i Downloaded the 10.15.6 combo update and installed it over my current 10.15.6 system, issue still exists.

I’m now think of doing a macOS reinstall via recovery mode. This should leave my files, data and email etc in place but gives me a fresh clean 10.15.6. Is that a good idea?

Sep 5, 2020 4:18 AM in response to lkrupp

frequent kernel panics under 10.15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.