Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari keeps going to Yahoo search engine instead of Google search

Since the past few days, whenever I open Safari, the search engine that opens up is yahoo search instead of the default Google search that I have set in the preferences. I am unable to get this moved to Google search.

Please help.

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2020 5:00 AM

An extension might have somehow been installed in Safari on your Mac that is redirecting you to yahoo. 

Look in Safari preferences > Extensions. If you see a search file in there you didn’t install, delete it. Then empty trash

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

22 replies

Sep 7, 2020 11:38 AM in response to mbpande1307

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.  

See if the below helps. I would scroll down to the below or you might fall asleep.

Step 1. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Windows.    

Step 2. Delete Yahoo Redirect from Mac OS      

Step 3. Uninstall Yahoo Redirect from Internet Explorer      

Step 4. Remove Yahoo Redirect from Microsoft Edge.     

Step 5. Erase Yahoo Redirect from Mozilla Firefox.   

Step 6. Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome.    

Step 7. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Safari.   

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yahoo-redirect-virus.html.    

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari/Preferences/General - see what the Home Page is set to. If something you don't recognize, see if you can replace it with something you want.

Safari menu/Clear History.

System Preferences and remove any Profiles you see.

Sep 7, 2020 12:44 AM in response to Vancouver22

Hi, thanks for your quick response. I should have clarified my question a bit better. I am opening the Safari on my MacBook Air.

And I tried whatever you suggested, but no luck. I also have Google Chrome on my Mac and even that is now forcibly going to yahoo search!! If you or any one else have any suggestions please share. Thanks a lot for the support.

Sep 8, 2020 10:56 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thanks a lot for your detailed points and links. Using the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac for a few times did the trick for Safari.

Truly appreciate your help.

Is the rendering of Google Chrome a bit different for Mac? since I was unable to see the three bars of menu as mentioned in the Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome link.

I am working out removing the yahoo redirect for Chrome now.

Thanks again for your support.

I would also like to thank Vancouver22 for also providing suggestions twice to help out.

Sep 27, 2020 9:19 PM in response to Eric Root

For anyone who is skeptical of this thread and the solution.

First of all thank you so much Eric for this solution. I was skeptical of this post because the malware was downloaded because of mistrust in the first place and that the solution was to download something else which could have been more malware.

I decided to trust the thread because of the fact that you were level 10 and that other solutions seemed inaccurate, however, I tried it out and I can say with utmost confidence it worked for my safari browser. It didn't work for my chrome browser but I decided to delete the browser anyways. I also gave it the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac app full disk access and no issues has been had for about a week now.

If you are wondering, the malware in question for me was webquestsearch. I noticed it before and tried to kill the process using the activity monitor but it started again afterwards. The Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac app found it and after a scan, quarantine, restart, scan and another quarantine the issue was solved and doing further scans returned 0 malware.

Sorry if it was a bit long I wanted to delineate how I felt, my thought process and how it worked for me because I know malware on your devices can cause scary and tricky scenarios. I hope those who sees this get their Mac sorted out and rid of malware.

Oct 30, 2020 11:20 AM in response to mbpande1307

After about a year i have finally figured out how to solve this malware issue. here are the steps :

-GO TO : SAFARI>PREFERENCES>ADVANCED>PROXIES>CHANGE SETTINGS> THEN UNCHECK ALL BOXES, MAKE SURE NONE ARE CHECKED THEN APPLY.

-Also make sure u clear caches and history and downloads you dont recognize or need.

-Check extensions in safari>preferences>extensions and make sure all are deleted.

-Clear all windows and go to ur screen saver page, click "go" at top bar>go to folder> type ~/Library/ > click on folder that says "caches" and clear everything inside it, trash it all.

-Then go to "macintosh" under "devices" in side bar > click library> click cache>trash everything in the folder. Now empty ur trash. It should be gone after all these steps and ur mac should run a lot faster and have a lot more storage space, caches in the library take up an amazing amount of storage.

-You can also click on ur wifi>open network preferences>click on wifi>click on "-" button on the bottom>click "+" button > select "wifi">"apply"

Mar 26, 2021 4:39 PM in response to mbpande1307

Hey!

Angry? yes I am RIGHT NOW!! since I have the BIG Fucking SUR! which do nothing apart of getting Hacking by YAHOO.COM Blocking is no LONGER available not even on the APP LIMIT??? What are you lot doing? we bought this fucking expensive laptop for a peace of mind from the hackers or **** that Microsoft user been dealing! What the fuck are you guys doing????

Mar 26, 2021 6:19 PM in response to malaymale

Have you tried Malwarebytes?

You have adware/malware installed. Use  Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. It may be necessary to run more than one scan. After scanning a couple of times, restart the computer and test. If necessary, follow the manual instructions.  Do not download any other programs that are listed in the articles.  

See if the below helps. I would scroll down to the below or you might fall asleep.

Step 1. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Windows.    

Step 2. Delete Yahoo Redirect from Mac OS      

Step 3. Uninstall Yahoo Redirect from Internet Explorer      

Step 4. Remove Yahoo Redirect from Microsoft Edge.     

Step 5. Erase Yahoo Redirect from Mozilla Firefox.   

Step 6. Get rid of Yahoo Redirect from Google Chrome.    

Step 7. Eliminate Yahoo Redirect from Safari.   

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-yahoo-redirect-virus.html.    

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions, uninstall any you don't recognize, and then turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari/Preferences/General - see what the Home Page is set to. If something you don't recognize, see if you can replace it with something you want.

Safari menu/Clear History.

System Preferences and remove any Profiles you see.

Safari keeps going to Yahoo search engine instead of Google search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.