Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Open in Preview" how can I update this 32-bit app?

I updated to MacOs Catalina some months ago, but am stuck with a problem of having to update 32-bit legacy software (like Preview) and can't work out how to do this. Can anybody help, please? As Preview is Apple software, I'm puzzled that this doesn't happen automatically, why on earth do we have to go through all this hassle?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 4:34 AM

All Apple applications installed by Catalina are 64-bit, as the operating system itself does not support 32-bit applications. If the Preview application in Applications has a circle with a slash through it, then that is on you, not Apple, and would lead me to believe that you restored an ancient Preview from a backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2020 4:34 AM in response to Abuchabbadi

All Apple applications installed by Catalina are 64-bit, as the operating system itself does not support 32-bit applications. If the Preview application in Applications has a circle with a slash through it, then that is on you, not Apple, and would lead me to believe that you restored an ancient Preview from a backup.

"Open in Preview" how can I update this 32-bit app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.