Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't access old iTunes playlists

Hi

I used to have some iTunes playlists on an old PC. This device has now died and I need access to my previous playlists that are several years old. I've logged onto my apple account but cant see anything about previous iTunes playlists? How do I access them please.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 8:45 AM

16 replies

Sep 6, 2020 4:26 AM in response to KD-L

Rumours of the death of iTunes have been somewhat exaggerated. See What happened to iTunes? - Apple Support. This change has only taken place in macOS 10.15 Catalina. itunes is still very much in use in older versions of macOS/OS X and Windows.

See Download and use iTunes for Windows - Apple Support to obtain a copy of iTunes.

See Hide and unhide music, movies, TV shows, audiobooks, and books - Apple Support and Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support to recover any past purchases that are still available in the iTunes Store.

See Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy - Apple Community to backup your library going forward.

tt2

Sep 6, 2020 3:02 PM in response to KD-L

If you haven't already done so Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support so that your device can access your unhidden purchase history. Then tap on Library in the Music app and you should see your purchases in the cloud.

The screenshots from earlier were taken from iTunes for Windows. I'm pretty sure you need to use the iTunes application on a computer if you want to unhide any hidden purchases.

If you still have the computer that died it may be possible to extract the hard drive and recover the library from it, even if it is otherwise unusable.

tt2

Sep 6, 2020 5:43 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your responses. I really am an incredibly technologically challenged person. I have no idea what version of iTunes I need to download as an app on my phone as I cannot see what the other response from "the fiend" sent me in a screenshot. I have none of the menus he showed me. I have downloaded a version of itunes but this is as far as I can get without purchasing

Sep 6, 2020 1:48 PM in response to KD-L

The Fiend showed you a screenshot from a computer. You will not see that on your phone.

Launch the iTunes app on your phone, not the Music App. The iTunes app is this one in the red box.

After you launch the App, tap on More in the bottom right corner. In the next screen, tap on Purchased. Then tap on Music. Then tap on the artist whose music you want to download. In the next screen you can download all songs by tapping the download icon or you can tap on All songs at the top which will take you to a screen where you can pick and choose the songs by that artist that you download.

Sep 5, 2020 1:58 PM in response to KD-L

Hi there

What app am I supposed to download as there seems to be so many for iTunes. This is what I read online so I cant even see the screen you showed me in your screenshot. I am technologically challenged!😂

"Today at Apple's 2019 Worldwide Developers Conference in San Jose, senior vice president of Software Engineering Craig Federighi announced that the iTunes app will be discontinued in its current form. In its place will be three media streaming apps: Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, and Apple TV.3 Jun 2019"

Sep 7, 2020 2:59 AM in response to KD-L

As before, you need iTunes on a computer to access you past purchases. Once there you can use file management tools to move your content to an android phone. Or you take out a subscription to Apple Music which is available for android. It isn't that Apple have set out to make things hard for you, it is that you have no backup.

tt2

Can't access old iTunes playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.