Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes does not see my Iphone 11pro

I vaguely recall having to update iTunes and mess with drivers when I first got the 11Pro but it was working fine till tonight.

Now iTunes does not see my Iphone 11pro but the computer DOES!

My computer registers that the phone is connected by USB as a portable device and allows me to access the DCIM so the driver appears to be fine.

The driver shows in device manager without errors as per the help topic for drivers but I updated it anyway.

Itunes itself, the USB driver and the phone iOS all updated to latest versions

Tried multiple cables

Tried multiple ports

All work fine as far as accessing DCIM, none bring it up in iTunes.

Oh and yes, I have switched everything off and back on again several times!

Plugged in my old 4S and that popped straight up so I'm guessing the problem is in the phone or a phone setting.

Any other ideas before I stott it off every wall in the house?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2020 2:24 PM

Well I'll be freaking darned.

I've just been through it all again . . . . . with no success . . . until the third attempt. I wish I'd filmed it because I'd swear attempt 3 was exactly the same as 1 and 2 but something obviously wasn't.

At step 8 my system defaults to programme files (X86) which does not contain a drivers folder (as stated last time)

I changed that to programme files and the driver folder is there (as stated last time) however last time when I selected the correct .inf file I got an error message saying (not word for word here mind) that the driver could not be installed that way?*!?

This time the list of files (of which there were 4 last time) never even appeared. As soon as I selected the folder the driver just installed itself!

The device manager entry changed from Apple iPhone under "portable devices" to Apple Mobile Device USB Driver under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Booted up iTunes and there it was, iPhone 11, woohooo.

Plugged in the old 4S? Nada, Nixie, Nowt at all!!!

So back to device manager and its still there as a portable device called iPhone.

Groundhog day'd my way to step 8, two mouse clicks, a growl from the floppy drive (yep, still have one!), a bing bong and another portable device jumped to the USB controllers gang.

For something that should have been so simple this has been one of the most irritating, time consuming faffs I've had since my three day battle with a malicious little swine of a virus that my AV software didn't even spot.

Thanks for the pointers, very much appreciated !!!

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 9, 2020 2:24 PM in response to turingtest2

Well I'll be freaking darned.

I've just been through it all again . . . . . with no success . . . until the third attempt. I wish I'd filmed it because I'd swear attempt 3 was exactly the same as 1 and 2 but something obviously wasn't.

At step 8 my system defaults to programme files (X86) which does not contain a drivers folder (as stated last time)

I changed that to programme files and the driver folder is there (as stated last time) however last time when I selected the correct .inf file I got an error message saying (not word for word here mind) that the driver could not be installed that way?*!?

This time the list of files (of which there were 4 last time) never even appeared. As soon as I selected the folder the driver just installed itself!

The device manager entry changed from Apple iPhone under "portable devices" to Apple Mobile Device USB Driver under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Booted up iTunes and there it was, iPhone 11, woohooo.

Plugged in the old 4S? Nada, Nixie, Nowt at all!!!

So back to device manager and its still there as a portable device called iPhone.

Groundhog day'd my way to step 8, two mouse clicks, a growl from the floppy drive (yep, still have one!), a bing bong and another portable device jumped to the USB controllers gang.

For something that should have been so simple this has been one of the most irritating, time consuming faffs I've had since my three day battle with a malicious little swine of a virus that my AV software didn't even spot.

Thanks for the pointers, very much appreciated !!!

Sep 5, 2020 1:59 PM in response to turingtest2

Already restarted, reinstalled or updated everything!

Tonight I quit, uninstalled and re-downloaded iTunes from the apple site . . . except judging by the screenshots it looks like I was redirected and given the Microsoft version.

Either way a fresh clean install should have fixed it and has not so now I followed the instructions on this knowledge article https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204095.

If I do it the MS way it says I HAVE the latest driver. If I do it via the run command it says "the file you have chosen does not use this installation method" (or words to that affect, seen to many godarned words to remember).

Incidentally OS is Win7Pro if that makes a difference.

Sep 5, 2020 5:27 PM in response to turingtest2

When you say “follow the advice given in the user tip” are you referring to the article https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204095 which i clearly stated i followed and noted the unsuccessful responses or a different user tip? (i can see that reads a bit snotty, it’s not meant to, i just think i must be missing something).

Additionally all the articles suggest the PC is not seeing the device so it must be a driver but the hardware sees it just fine, it’s only itunes software that can’t. Is that still a driver issue?

If it is then should that not have been fixed by the full new install which should have the latest driver already?

Sep 6, 2020 2:41 AM in response to Bourne without the iGene

I was referring to my own user tip iOS device not showing in iTunes for Windows - Apple Community which is similar but not identical to Apple's advice. And yes, you would think reinstalling iTunes would be sufficient, but it isn't always. An iPhone with a non-empty camera roll can appear as a camera, exposing the DCIM folder to Windows Explorer. This function may work independently of the drivers that iTunes uses to communicate with the device. I can't guarantee you will have success with the approach I've given, but it has helped many others when they've been in the same position.

tt2

Sep 6, 2020 5:43 AM in response to turingtest2

I reread your personal tip.

When i followed that route the drivers folder is not even visible. (I thought i had set this machine up to show all hidden files after an irritating glitch during the build). The folder is visible using (i think) the run command and that’s when it said .inf could not be installed using that method!

One bit i did miss off was “repair mobile device support”. The word repair put me off after a bad experience with windows repair.

Does that routine require windows discs or is it less complicated than that?

Sep 6, 2020 3:21 PM in response to Bourne without the iGene

You cannot install the .inf file from Windows Explorer, you must use the steps as given.

By "repair Apple Mobile Device Support" I'm referring to the option you get with the non-Microsoft Store version of iTunes, which installs several separate components, one of which is called Apple Mobile Device Support. The add/remove programs and features control panel should give options to repair or remove the component if you have it. Repairing should reinstall it and repair any dependencies. No Windows discs are required.

tt2

Sep 10, 2020 4:34 PM in response to turingtest2

unfortunately it appears i spoke to soon.

All gone TU again.

Sync froze at step 2 (backing up) for hours so just had to kill it,

Phone still shows in itunes and device manager but no dcim access.

itunes says the phones never been backed up even though it has but that might be due to delete/reinstall fiasco.

Never had this sort of palava with Nokia Phone Browser. 😆

Itunes does not see my Iphone 11pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.