Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icloud drive - what happens if I delete local files?

Hi Fellow Apple Users

I have some personal files on my work computer, which I've added to the Icloud folder.

Now, if I delete these files locally, does this mean that my files on icloud drive also gets deleted?

If this is the case, what can I do to make sure that my personal files are "safe" on icloud drive, but removed from my work computer locally? If it helps, I do have another mac with icloud installed (but not much storage).

Thanks in advance for your help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 4, 2020 9:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 6:05 PM

Hello plzhelp11,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're looking for an option to secure your personal documents in iCloud, while removing them directly from your work computer. For this, check out Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive. Under section: Turn off Desktop and Documents, you'll find a full explanation on how to potentially remove those files from your computer and store them only in iCloud.

Best wishes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2020 6:05 PM in response to plzhelp11

Hello plzhelp11,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand that you're looking for an option to secure your personal documents in iCloud, while removing them directly from your work computer. For this, check out Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive. Under section: Turn off Desktop and Documents, you'll find a full explanation on how to potentially remove those files from your computer and store them only in iCloud.

Best wishes.

Sep 5, 2020 9:06 PM in response to plzhelp11

It depends on how you are doing it. If you have iCloud Drive w/ the iCloud option in System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > Options set for "Desktop & Documents Folder" that means any files on your desktop (wallpaper background area) or in your user's Documents folder are actually being synced to iCloud's Desktop & Documents folder. If you delete anything from those locations on your Mac that will sync the deletion of that specific copy of the file onto iCloud's Desktop or Documents folder and it will be deleted.

If you are taking a file from elsewhere, such as the root of your Home folder, or some place else (like Downloads or Pictures) and copy it up to your "iCloud Drive" proper (not iCloud's "Desktop" or iCloud's "Documents") then if you delete your local copy that won't affect your iCloud drive.

You should check your system preferences to see if you have that option turned on or not. And before testing this you can place a bona fide copy of that file to a USB flash drive or to someplace like your Home folder, or Pictures, or Movies, or Downloads, etc....just any place other than the desktop background area or to Documents to be safe, or use an expendable test file.

Icloud drive - what happens if I delete local files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.