Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging iPhone SE 2020 beyond 80%

I've just got a new iPhone SE 2020. I have two questions relating to charging it up. The first is that I am told that is a bad idea for the long-time health of the battery to charge it up more than 80%. Is that true? And the second question is that I'm confused about the optimised battery charging option (which I have left switched on). Does this mean that the iPhone will stop charging at 80% unless it detects (from my previous charging history) that the phone will be plugged into the mains for an extended period of time, so that it can safely carry on and charge up to 100%?

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 6:44 AM

Thanks for this. So if I turn Optimised Battery Charging off, then the phone will simply stop charging when it hits 80%. Is that right? And presumably if I have a long day ahead and want 100% charge on that particular day, then do I just plug it back in and manually charge up to 100%?

6 replies

Sep 5, 2020 5:55 AM in response to maxharley

Ideally, you want to reduce the time period your iPhone spends fully charged at 100%, in order to increase its battery's lifespan.

Note: Several factors actually contribute to the lifespan; charging cycle (pattern) is one of them.

So, you could charge it to a 100% but you don't want to keep it charged at 100% for a longer time/extended time after it reaches that 100%. Similarly, you don't want to keep it fully discharged or at lower than 20% for extended time periods.

Practically, (previously) it was/is not possible/feasible to control that time period, so it had/has been suggested to keep one's Li-ion battery charged at 80%.

Enter iOS 13, Apple introduces Optimized Battery Charging, to improve your battery's lifespan by reducing the time your iPhone spends fully charged. So, if the setting is turned ON, the algorithm studies your charging pattern - when do you normally charge your iPhone and for how long, in which locations, etc. If it detects a routine without too many variables, then it activates. for eg. you mostly charge your iPhone overnight at home, and stop it from charging at 7 am when you usually wake up., Optimized Battery Charging will activate to charge your iPhone to 80% as quickly as possible as it normally would (depending on the charging adapter you use), but the remaining 20% would be charged in a delayed fashion aiming to reach a 100% just prior to 7 am. This way your iPhone would not stay charged at 100% for a longer time than necessary.

Sep 5, 2020 6:39 AM in response to Siabh

That’s great, Sian. I’m really grateful. But if I’m manually charging the phone up at the beginning of the day - when I can keep an eye on how the charge is progressing and stop charging at either 80% or 100% if I have a full day ahead - then presumably the optimised battery charging feature is less useful to me. Is that right?

Charging iPhone SE 2020 beyond 80%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.