Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone mutes other people while I speak

Whenever I'm on a phone call and speak, the other person's audio cuts out until I stop talking (and for half a second or so after I stop - there seems to be a slight delay). This makes it difficult to hold a conversation - lots of stops and starts, and asking people to repeat themselves.

I thought this was just an issue with my old phone (an iPhone 6), but after getting an XR it has continued, so I think it must be a setting I haven't been able to find (I checked with the XR's previous owner, and this wasn't an issue.

I think this is some kind of audio ducking feature meant to prevent feedback if the phone is on speaker, but I almost never use it on speaker (I use Apple earpods for phone calls). Everything I can find on these forums is about iMovie audio ducking, or about Facetime lowering the system volume (e.g., a Youtube video won't play at full during a Facetime call).

Sorry if I just haven't been using the right search terms - but I'd appreciate any help with this. Thank you!

iPhone XR, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 8:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 12:19 PM

Thank you! I just checked, and this was already off. I turned it on and then turned it off again to verify, and am still getting the issue. Is there any other setting you can think of which might affect this? (Maybe something on the other person's end?)

2 replies

Sep 6, 2020 11:40 AM in response to ntgoeb

Hello, ntgoeb!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you’re having an issue with hearing others when you are speaking on phone calls. Since the issue is happening when you restore from a backup, let’s start by checking some settings on the device. Please go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Phone Noise Cancellation and be sure that setting is turned off (grey).

Let us know if you continue to have issues and have a super day!

Phone mutes other people while I speak

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.