Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina does not mount SuperDrive disks

Plugged my SuperDrive into my 2014 iMac 5K. The CDs & DVDs System Preference Panel appeared, so the drive is being recognized. But Catalina would not mount the disk. The drive shows up in Disk Utility, but the volume is grayed out. When I tried to mount it, I got "Could not mount "CD". (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49153.)

Started Windows 10 under Parallels. It can mount and browse the CD no problem.

Apple still sells the SuperDrive for $79 on their store, so it's not like it's a discontinued product.

Yet another example of basic QA not being done at Apple. I can't understand why this wouldn't be part of an automated test suite.

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 10:29 AM

7 replies

Sep 5, 2020 6:58 PM in response to bryston

bryston Said:

"Catalina does not mount SuperDrive disks"

-------

Try a Virtual Machine:

Maybe Using a Virtual Machine would do the Trick?

If there ends up being not solution for viewing these on the macOS, consider using a Virtual Machine(VM) for reading these(Windows-in-a-window). You would open items in the VM, and run it right off of that. When plugging in the drive, make it accessible to the Virtual Machine. You'd be prompted which to use the drive on: The VM or the macOS. If the Virtual Machine is working, you will get this popup message.

All would be accessed and would operate as desired on the VM. Virtual Machine applications include VMWare Fusion and ParallelsLearn more here: What Is a Virtual Machine? - VMWare Support.

Catalina does not mount SuperDrive disks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.