Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail won't access account

I had previously set up a Mail account with my RCN server (I've got a late 2012 iMac, recently upgraded OS to Catalina 10.15.6) and was receiving and sending e-mail fine. I got confused by another Mail account I was having trouble accessing and accidentally changed the password, to my RCN mail. When I couldn't get e-mail, I changed the RCN mail password back, but I couldn't get my iMac to receive or send e-mail on the RCN server, even though I can log into my RCN webmail via browser. So, I deleted the RCN mail account (it just had a few unimportant e-mails, still on the RCN webmail server) and tried to add a new RCN account. Mail won't do it! I've entered the right e-mail address and password and IMAP account type and such but I just get that spinning pizza wheel that never ends...

Note that I was able to set up my RCN mail on another iMac computer with OS 10.13 (High Sierra), so it's got to be an OS Catalina problem. I've tried turning off Mail, shutting down the computer and restarting, rebuilding the mailbox. Anyone else have this sort of problem.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 1:16 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 6, 2020 2:39 PM in response to MacVic

Hey MacVic,

We understand that you're not able to add your email account on your one Mac device. The steps and articles below might be helpful:

If Mail on your Mac can’t connect to your email account

You could also try following the steps to see if you can add it in safe mode, as it can help isolate this issue:

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Let us know if those help. In the meantime, take care!

Sep 6, 2020 6:00 PM in response to Teddy_B

As if by magic, my iMac with OS Catalina, now accesses both my RCN e-mail server as well as my ATT/Yahoo e-mail. I was about to do a "safe" restart per the Community Discussion, but the connection problem seems to have gone away. I did use Connection Doctor, which I'd been doing fruitlessly all Saturday, so perhaps some instruction packet changed from providing an incorrect user name or password to the correct one? It was very strange that it oly happened on one computer and not the other, which only can use High Sierra OS.

Thank you for the thorough explanation of diagnosing e-mail connection problems.

Mail won't access account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.