Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

-bash: cannot execute binary file when opening an installer

Hello,

I need help with my iMac as I have a CD to install on my mac and when I press on the icon and doesn't open.

So I searched online for a solution and couldn't find one, when i opened the terminal for its exec file in the package content, it says

Last login: Sat Sep  5 23:28:14 on ttys000

The default interactive shell is now zsh.

To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.

For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.

/Volumes/new_headway_plus/setup-osx.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder ; exit;

Farahs-iMac:~ farahkh$ /Volumes/new_headway_plus/setup-osx.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder ; exit;

-bash: /Volumes/new_headway_plus/setup-osx.app/Contents/MacOS/installbuilder: cannot execute binary file

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

[Process completed]

I need this for work and I couldn't find a solution please help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2020 5:57 PM

The following looks to be the replacement for the Oxford New Headway Plus app:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/oxford-learners-bookshelf/id617832312

New Headway Plus is now available as an e-book, with interactive features designed specifically for language learners. Available for iPad and tablets for Android via the Oxford Learner’s Bookshelf app.

What I see of the app posted around looks too old to work with Catalina, too.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 5, 2020 5:57 PM in response to fofakh

The following looks to be the replacement for the Oxford New Headway Plus app:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/oxford-learners-bookshelf/id617832312

New Headway Plus is now available as an e-book, with interactive features designed specifically for language learners. Available for iPad and tablets for Android via the Oxford Learner’s Bookshelf app.

What I see of the app posted around looks too old to work with Catalina, too.

Sep 5, 2020 7:49 PM in response to fofakh

The particular app here was replaced with new materials available from Oxford, so that’s what most businesses will want you to use; the most current version available from the folks at Oxford.

Catalina requires 64-bit apps. Older 32-bit apps will not work on macOS Catalina. The app developer has to rebuild the app for 64-bit, and possibly making some app source code modifications that can be required as part of that.

I see a number of different copies of what purport to be that OS X app posted around the ‘net, but who knows what those are, and what those contain. If someone at the business suggests loading random software acquired from the ‘net, you’ll want to check with the business IT, networking, and/or security folks about the wisdom of that.

The install icon likely isn’t opening because the app isn’t compatible. You can verify this by examining the app either directly with Get Info or related on the executable files, or with a tool such as Go64, and see if the executable files contain code built for 32-bit or 64-bit. But as stated above, anything listing OS X versions as old as this DVD is vanishingly unlikely to work with macOS Catalina.

-bash: cannot execute binary file when opening an installer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.