Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to detect malware on my MacBook?

how can I detect a key logger or other such malware on my MacBook Air running Catalina?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2020 1:25 AM

You can install a third-party app which scans/monitors your computer for such threats. Do a search on the web for "stop malware on mac" or something similar. One such app can be found here https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Also, prevention is better than cure, as the saying goes, so read this too: Change Security & Privacy General preferences on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2020 1:25 AM in response to CellarDoor1984

You can install a third-party app which scans/monitors your computer for such threats. Do a search on the web for "stop malware on mac" or something similar. One such app can be found here https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

Also, prevention is better than cure, as the saying goes, so read this too: Change Security & Privacy General preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Sep 9, 2020 2:09 AM in response to CellarDoor1984

I cannot say what specific data a spyware will try and "spy" on. It could be different depending on the spyware app. Generally, it is location settings, banking information, passwords, data, etc.

However, the chances of your iPhone getting infected by malware are very small. To stay safe, keep these tips in mind:

• Keep your phone up to date. Be sure to install iOS updates whenever they're available, and install app updates regularly.
  • Never jailbreak your phone.
  • Don't install apps from any location outside the App Store. Generally, you can't do this without jailbreaking a phone, but developer tools let you circumvent this to install test versions of unreleased apps. Avoid this.

If you suspect your iPhone is infected, Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

For further reading:

Install a configuration profile on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

How to delete an app that has a configuration profile on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

About privacy and Location Services in iOS and iPadOS - Apple Support

These were all related to iPhone. Follow similar things for your Mac.

Sep 9, 2020 1:43 AM in response to Siabh

Let me rephrase the question...

what information is present within the IPhone Analytic data of a Mac or IPhone that is infected with malware?

How can one interpret the analytics data of their iPhone Or Mac , in order to determine if it has been either, a: infected with malware, compromised by spyware or modified by any malicious/bad actor type of influence?

what does the analytics data of an IPhone or Mac infected with malware or spyware/stalkerware look like.

what protocols are unique and specific to the data analytics of a compromised iPhone?

How to detect malware on my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.